West Career and Technical Academy
West Career and Technical Academy (WCTA, West Tech) is a magnet high school located in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States. The school opened in 2010 as the first magnet school in Summerlin, a community in the western Las Vegas Valley. It is administered by the Clark County School District. West Tech offers nine programs to prepare students for a career in the field selected.
|West Career and Technical Academy|
Façade in January 2014
11945 W. Charleston Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89135
|School type||Magnet public high school|
|School district||Clark County School District|
After one and a half years of construction costing $83.5 million, West Tech opened to students on August 30, 2010. It is the last high school built under a 1998 bond program to revitalize schools in the Clark County School District (CCSD), which involved the construction, replacement, and rehabilitation of more than 100 schools. For its first year of operation, West Tech admitted 750 freshmen and sophomores.
In December 2014, student Angelique Clark applied to begin a pro-life club at the school; however, the administration denied her application, claiming the subject was too controversial. She proceeded to send two demand letters to CCSD, but when she failed to receive a response, she sued West Tech in August 2015. The following month, the school agreed to the formation of the club.
A rotating solar panel and a ground heat source exchange system help to power the campus. There is also a computerized weather station and four greenhouses, which are used to facilitate students' learning in horticulture, biotechnology, and other fields. West Tech also includes multiple computer labs and a student WiFi system.
West Tech offers the following nine programs: Biomedical sciences, Biotechnology, Nursing, Sports Medicine, Environmental Science, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Business Management, Digital Arts & Media, and Cybersecurity. Students select one of these programs to study throughout high school, designed to assist them in future studies and a career in the field.
Clubs and activitiesEdit
The school offers several career and technical student organizations (CTSOs), including DECA, FBLA, Skills USA, and HOSA. There are no NIAA sports teams. The school also offers two honors societies, including NHS and Mu Alpha Theta.
Some students choose to start their own clubs with the assistance of faculty and classmates.
- "West Career & Technical Academy". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 26, 2019.
- "West Career and Technical Academy opens in Summerlin". Las Vegas Review-Journal. September 4, 2010. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- Takahashi, Paul (August 30, 2010). "Summerlin magnet school welcomes 750 students". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "About Us". West Career and Technical Academy. Archived from the original on March 8, 2014. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- Morton, Neal (August 13, 2015). "Student sues CCSD for banning formation of anti-abortion club". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- Morell, Casey; Schoenmann, Joe (September 9, 2015). "CCSD Student Talks About Pro-Life Club". Nevada Public Radio. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- "West CTA Faculty". West CTA Faculty. Retrieved October 13, 2016.