Weddington High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Weddington High School (WHS) is a public high school located east of Weddington, North Carolina , as part of Union County Public Schools. As of June 2017, the school has been operating under the leadership of principal Dr. Jay Jones. Weddington's main feeder schools, Weddington Elementary and Weddington Middle, are located on the same campus as the high school.
|Weddington High School|
4901 Monroe Weddington Road
|School district||Union County Public Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Jay Jones
Marni Menkin John GrexaThomas Brookshire
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Color(s)||Navy and Kelly Green |
|Slogan||"Preparing All Students to Succeed"|
|Athletics conference||Southern Carolina 3A|
|Rivals||Cuthbertson High School, Marvin Ridge High School|
As of 2011, Weddington had the highest graduation rate of seniors in the state of North Carolina for the fifth year in a row, with the graduation rate going up from 91.7% to 95.7%.
Weddington is a Honors School of Excellence with high growth. To be recognized as an Honors School of Excellence, a school must have 90% or above of their composite End of Course Test scores above grade level. Weddington's test scores are the highest in Union County.
Weddington High School was on Newsweek magazine's "2013 America's Best High Schools" list. Weddington ranked 470th out of 2000 national schools. There are over 18,000 high schools in the United States, placing Weddington in the top three percent.
The Weddington High School marching band's 2013-2014 director, Jill Brooks, was selected as the recipient of the 2013-2014 American School Band Directors Association Outstanding Potential Award. The band was also highlighted in an issue of Appleseed Magazine for showing the power of music along with the levels of hard work and enthusiasm required to exist in a marching band.
As of 2013, Weddington provides its students with a Marine Corps JROTC program. Instructed by retired Marines Lieutenant Colonel David Morgan and Sergeant Major Matthew Brookshire, the program has won two over-all awards from Union County drill meets, along with a host of other drill awards in just its first two years. Weddington's MCJROTC program, as of 2015, consists of about 60 cadets. In May 2017, the MJROTC Women's Athletic Team finished 3rd in the National Competition, held in San Diego, CA.
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The school has earned 3A State Championships in the following sports:
- (2003-2004): Women's Cross Country
- (2009-2010): Cheerleading
- (2012-2013): Baseball
- (2013-2014): Baseball
- (2013-2014): Men's Cross Country
- (2015-2016): Men's Cross Country
- (2015-2016): Men's Soccer
- (2015-2016): Men's Indoor Track & Field
- (2015-2016): Women's Soccer
- (2016-2017): Football
- (2016-2017): Men's Lacrosse
- (2016-2017): Men's Tennis
- (2016-2017): Men's Outdoor Track & Field
- (2017-2018): Men’s Indoor Track & Field
- (2017-2018): Men’s Outdoor Track & Field
- (2017-2018): Men’s Lacrosse
- (2018-2019): Football
- (2018-2019): Men’s Cross Country
- (2018-2019): Men's Indoor Track & Field
- (2018-2019): Men's Outdoor Track & Field
- (2018-2019): Men's Lacrosse
The school has also earned over a dozen of the NCHSAA Team Scholar Athlete Awards for having the highest team GPA, regardless of classification.
- "About Our School". Weddington High. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- "WHS Marching Band and Director receive Recognition". wdhs.ucps.k12.nc.us/. Weddington High School.