This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2018)
WeTransfer is an internet-based computer file transfer service based in the Netherlands. The company was founded in 2009 in Amsterdam by Rinke Visser, Bas Beerens and Nalden. In October 2018, WeTransfer relaunched its app with the name "Collect by WeTransfer". In May 2020, India banned the WeTransfer app, citing security reasons.
|Founder(s)||Rinke Visser, Nalden, Bas Beerens|
In 2012, WeTransfer implemented a re-design and introduced a 'Pro' service, supporting transfers of larger files, more storage, an address book, and the ability to protect files with a password.
In 2013, WeTransfer reached profitability. In 2014, WeTransfer launched creativeclass.tv, an ongoing video series. WeTransfer initiated its first bursaries that year, through a collaborative partnership with Central Saint Martins. These bursaries supported two students from around the globe in their full-time studies.
In 2016, WeTransfer announced the acquisition of digital design studio Present Plus, established in 2010 by Damian Bradfield and WeTransfer co-founder Nalden. In September 2016, WeTransfer opened their first office in the United States, in Venice Beach, Los Angeles. In early 2017, Gordon Willoughby became the company's Chief Executive Officer, taking over from Bas Beerens, who became Executive Chairman.
In August 2019, the company closed a €35 million secondary funding round led by HPE Growth.
Beerens also runs the design consultancy OY Communications, from which WeTransfer was developed, initially as OY Transfer. In 2012, he founded WeMarket, a global B2B marketplace for buyers and suppliers in any industry.
WeTransfer offers a free service where users can send up to two gigabytes of files, and a paid option, called WeTransfer Plus where users can send up to 200 gigabytes of files. WeTransfer Plus also allows users to add passwords to files.
WeTransfer has a dual revenue model; split between advertising and premium subscriptions. With a free account, users can send files of up to 2 GB. With a premium account 200 GB files can be transferred, 1 TB stored, and password and personalization options.
- Vanier, Rachel (31 July 2017). "Ask Me Anything with Nalden, co-founder of We Transfer". Medium.
- Eva Oude Elferink (2013-10-21). "Nalden: 'Door het design van WeTransfer durven mensen het te gebruiken'" (in Dutch). Volkskrant.nl. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- Hardwick, Tim (October 30, 2018). "WeTransfer Relaunches Mobile File-Sharing App as 'Collect'". Mac Rumors. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- Lucic, Kristijan (October 29, 2018). "WeTransfer App Gets Rebranded To 'Collect by WeTransfer'". Android Headlines. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "WeTransfer 'Partially' Blocked in India, Company Says". NDTV Gadgets 360. Retrieved 2020-06-19.
- WeTransfer. "WeTransfer". www.wetransfer.com. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "WeTransfer, Funky Dutch Cousin Of Dropbox And Box, Gets $25M To Go Large In The U.S." TechCrunch. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "MA Material Futures Announces New Bursaries". Central Saint Martins. 28 January 2019. Retrieved 22 June 2020.
- "Dutch startup WeTransfer just raised $25 million to expand into the US". Business Insider. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "Troy Carter Joins The Board Of WeTransfer". fastcompany.com. 9 November 2015. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Dropbox rival WeTransfer acquires Present Plus to boost product and design teams - TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- Kissel, Chris (3 October 2016). "How to Make Your Tech Company Cool: Throw a Party With Kamasi Washington". LA Weekly. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "WeTransfer's founder leaves CEO role, ex-Amazon exec steps in for commercial push". TechCrunch. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "WeTransfer buys creative apps Paper and Paste from FiftyThree". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- O'Hear, Steve (19 August 2019). "HPE Growth backs WeTransfer in €35M secondary funding round". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2020-07-20.
- Aziz, Afdhel. "WeTransfer Announces It Is Becoming A B-Corp". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-07-20.
- Send large files to clients with these 11 free tools on creativebloq.com, accessed 16 July 2018
- Gratis en eenvoudig grote bestanden te delen met WeTransfer on eenmanierom.nl, accessed 16 July 2018
- Article on WeTransfer in issue_16 summer_2011-2 (see p82) at issuu.com, accessed 16 July 2018
- 2012 Article on european-startups wired.co.uk, accessed 16 July 2018
- B2B marketplace WeMarket launches for global companies on internetretailer.com.
- "AWS Case Study: WeTransfer". Amazon Web Services, Inc. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- Spadafora, Anthony (24 June 2019). "WeTransfer suffered a security incident last week". TechRadar. Retrieved 2020-07-20.
- "WeTransfer Plus". 2018-08-23.
- "Behance". www.behance.net. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "How The Cofounder Of WeTransfer Went From Blog To Startup". fastcompany.com. 13 February 2014. Retrieved 27 June 2017.