Wayne Fromm is a Canadian inventor and entrepreneur who is most notable for being the original patent holder of the selfie stick for digital cameras and cell phones. Branded as the Quik Pod, it is a handheld extendable stick for digital cameras and smart phones for taking pictures of one's self.
|Born||December 27, 1954|
|Known for||The selfie stick or selfie pole|
|Title||President of Fromm Works|
Wayne Fromm studied commerce and finance at the University of Toronto from 1972 to 1973. Subsequently in 1975, he received a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology at York University in Toronto, Canada. Through his company Fromm Works, he has invented numerous inventions and his activities have been mentioned in notable media like the Entrepreneur Magazine, Inventor's Digest, Harvard Business Review, The Wall Street Journal, Investor's Daily News, CNN, Business Week, Toronto Star, Financial Post, Globe and Mail, New York Post and CTV Biography. During his career, he created devices like the Quik Pod which appeared in Oprah Magazine and the New York Times in March 2008. Disney's Beauty and the Beast Magic Talking Mirror, Crayola's Colour and Show Projector, Saban's Power Ranger Room Defender, Nestle's Nesquik Magic Milkshake Maker. The following patents below are credited to Wayne Fromm and describe some of his inventions:
- US patent 7684694, Wayne G. Fromm, "Apparatus for supporting a camera and method for using the apparatus", published 2010-03-23, issued 2010-03-23
- US patent 8757901, Wayne G. Fromm, "Camera steadying device", published 2014-06-24, issued 2014-06-24
- US patent 6283627, Wayne G. Fromm, "Drink mixer", published 2001-09-04, issued 2001-09-04
- US patent D485118, Wayne G. Fromm, "Blender", published 2004-01-13, issued 2004-01-13
- US patent 20040140348, Wayne G. Fromm, "Pedometer", published 2004-07-22, issued 2004-07-22
- US patent 5228879, Wayne G. Fromm, "Toy mirror assembly", published 1993-07-20, issued 2012-03-06
- US patent 9386196, Wayne G. Fromm, "Holding Assembly for a Picture Taking Device", published 2013-12-31, issued 2016-07-05
- Kelsey Campbell-Dollaghan (January 15, 2015). "The Truly Brilliant Design History of the Selfie Stick". Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- Adrian Lee (March 3, 2015). "Q&A: The selfie stick's unsung Canadian inventor". Retrieved March 3, 2015.
- Oscar Raymundo. "This Entrepreneur Invented the Original 'Selfie Stick' Years Before the iPhone". Inc.
- Christopher Simmons (March 2014). "King of Selfies Courts Ellen DeGeneres". California NewsWire. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- Chris Stokel-Walker (January 8, 2015). "Did the Selfie-Stick Inventor Get Shafted?". New York. Missing or empty
- Susan Sampson (December 2009). "Toronto man makes bagels with a twist". Toronto Star. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Mary Teresa Bitti (November 26, 2012). "QuickPod inventor needs to start commercializing, dragon Dickinson says". Financial Post. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- David Pogue (March 2008). "8 Gadgets That Will Cut Your To-do List in Half". Oprah.com. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Five Fun Little Gadgets". New York Times. March 2008. Retrieved 1 October 2014.