Wausau Center is an enclosed shopping mall which opened in 1983 in downtown Wausau, Wisconsin. HOM Furniture is the only current anchor, as JCPenney closed in 2014, Sears closed in 2016, and Younkers closed in 2018. It is managed by Mid-America Real Estate Group.
|Opening date||August 3, 1983|
|Developer||Jacobs Visconsi Jacobs|
|Owner||Mid-America Real Estate Group|
|No. of stores and services||40+|
|No. of anchor tenants||3 (2 vacant)|
|Total retail floor area||423,132 square feet (39,000 m2)|
|No. of floors||1|
The downtown area of Wausau was blighted by many vacant buildings in the late 1970s. A referendum was passed in 1979 to allow Richard E. Jacobs' Jacobs Visconsi & Jacobs Group to build the mall. Approximately 67 buildings were demolished to make way for the mall, which opened on August 3, 1983. To commemorate the opening, a five-day-long celebration was held. Its original anchors were J. C. Penney, Sears, and Prange's (later Younkers). Walgreens, an original tenant, moved out in 2003.
In 2006, the mall owners began a renovation which included new seating areas and an improved mall entrance. Two years later, the food court was expanded, using space vacated that same year by a McDonald's.
The mall lost all three anchor stores between 2014 and 2018, with Younkers being the last of the three to close; in June 2019, HOM Furniture opened as the center's sole anchor store, having acquired the previously closed Younkers location.
- "Mall information". CBL & Associates Properties. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Blaschka, Shawn; Spialek, Anji; Williams, Sharon. Haunted Wausau: The Ghostly History of Big Bull Falls. pp. 35–37.
- "Recent downtown projects". Downtown retail development opportunities, 1984. International Council of Shopping Centers: 72.
- "Wausau, Wisconsin". Stores. National Retail Dry Goods Association: 41. 1984.
- Paulsen, David (16 July 2003). "Walgreens prepares for move". Wausau Daily Herald. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Sargent, Nick (27 April 2006). "Multimillion-dollar renovation planned for Wausau Center". Wausau Daily Herald. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Wausau Center Mall To Renovate Food Court". WAOW. 12 June 2008. Retrieved 16 May 2013.