Watermark (Art Garfunkel album)
Watermark is the third solo studio album by Art Garfunkel, originally released in October 1977 on Columbia Records. The first single, "Crying in My Sleep", failed to chart, but the follow-up, a version of "(What a) Wonderful World" (featuring harmony vocals from Garfunkel's old partner Paul Simon and mutual friend James Taylor) reached #17 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #1 on the Adult Contemporary chart. The songs "Watermark" and "Paper Chase" had previously been performed by Richard Harris on his albums A Tramp Shining and The Yard Went On Forever. This album is also noted as being the final recording sessions of legendary saxophonist Paul Desmond who died of lung cancer shortly thereafter. Actress Laurie Bird, Garfunkel's girlfriend, made the album cover's photograph.
|Studio album by|
|Released||October 25, 1977|
January 10, 1978 (reissue)
|Producer||Art Garfunkel (except "Wonderful World" produced by Phil Ramone)|
|Art Garfunkel chronology|
All tracks composed by Jimmy Webb; except where indicated
- Side one
- "Crying in My Sleep" – 4:06
- "Marionette" – 2:36
- "Shine It on Me" – 3:26
- "Watermark" – 2:59
- "Saturday Suit" – 3:16
- "All My Love's Laughter" – 3:56
- Side two
- Art Garfunkel – vocals
- Derek Bell – harmonica
- Stephen Bishop – guitar, background vocals
- Paul Simon – acoustic guitar, background vocals
- James Taylor, Carol Flamm, Alexandra Stavrou, Ed Hasselbrink, Shelley Hirsch, Fred Farell, David Crosby, Bob Dorough, Leah Kunkel – background vocals
- Jay Clayton Voice Group - background vocals
- Paul Desmond – alto saxophone
- Pete Carr, Jimmy Johnson, Hugh McCracken – guitar
- Tommy Vig – vibraphone, background vocals
- Ralph MacDonald, Tom Roady, Craig Krampf – percussion
- Jimmy Webb – keyboards
- Barry Beckett – piano
- David Campbell – arranger
- David Crosby – background vocals
- Christopher Dedrick – arranger
- Joe Farrell – flute, English horn, oboe
- Martin Fay – fiddle
- Jimmie Haskell – arranger
- Roger Hawkins, Steve Gadd, Rick Shlosser – drums
- David Hood, Joe Osborn, Tony Levin – bass guitar
- Thomas Latondre – percussion, handclaps
- Paddy Moloney – uilleann pipes, tin whistle
- Oklahoma Uni Chorale – background vocals
- Bill Payne – synthesizer
- Jack Schroer – saxophone
- Richard Tee – piano, Fender Rhodes
- Michael Tubridy – flute
- Seán Keane – fiddle
- Ruhlmann, William. Watermark at AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Wiseman, Rich (1978-05-18), "Music Reviews : Watermark by Art Garfunkel", Rolling Stone, archived from the original on 2008-07-24, retrieved 2008-07-24
- "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 28, No. 26, March 25, 1978". RPM. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "charts.org.nz - Art Garfunkel - Watermark". Hung Medien, charts.org.nz. Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "norwegiancharts.com Art Garfunkel - Watermark". Hung Medien, norwegiancharts.com. VG-lista. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Chart Stats - Art Garfunkel - Watermark". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "allmusic ((( Watermark > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1976". RPM. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Canadian album certifications – Art Garfunkel – Watermark". Music Canada.
- "British album certifications – Art Garfunkel – Watermark". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Watermark in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Art Garfunkel – Watermark". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.