Washington Corrections Center
Washington Corrections Center is a Washington State Department of Corrections men's prison located in Shelton, Washington. With an operating capacity of 1,300, it is the sixth largest prison in the state (after Stafford Creek Corrections Center) and is surrounded by forestland. It opened 55 years ago in 1964, seventy-five years after statehood.
|Security class||Medium, Close, Maximum|
|Managed by||Washington State Department of Corrections|
|Warden||Daniel White, Superintendent|
|Street address||2321 West Dayton Airport Rd.|
|Postal code||P. O. Box 900|
Washington Corrections Center is located at 2321 W Dayton Airport Rd
Facilities and ProgramsEdit
Washington Corrections Center facilitates Educational and Offender Change programs, Work and Vocational programs, and Sustainability programs.
- Educational and Offender Change programs include: GED programs, Computer basics programs, and a prison library. they're intent is to teach incarcerated new skills, and help them to transition into the outside world.
- Work and Vocational programs include: groundskeeping and vehicle maintenance, these are how prisoners earn prison salaries or commissary.
- Sustainability programs include: Composting, and Vegetable Gardens. They're intent is to allow prisoners to practice skills learned in prison, and make the prison self-sustaining.
These vary from minimum to maximum security.
Washington Corrections Center was opened 55 years ago in 1964, making it the 5th oldest prison in Washington state. all prisoners entering the Washington State Prison System must pass through Washington Corrections Center in order to be permanently assigned to another prison. In 2014, two prisoners at Washington Corrections Center committed successful suicides, leading the Washington State Department of Corrections to reform their official policy on suicides. In September, 2015 Washington Corrections Center became the second prison (after Snake River Correctional Institution in Oregon) to install a "Blueroom" inside of solitary confinement to play nature videos for prisoners.
- "Washington Corrections Center (WCC) | WACorrections". doc.wa.gov. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Washington Corrections Center Visiting hours, inmate phones, mail". prisonpro.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Washington Correctional Center Campus Map". google.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Washington Corrections Center Visiting hours, inmate phones, mail". prisonpro.com. Retrieved 2016-05-06.
- "Welcome to prison -- inside Washington Corrections Center - seattlepi.com". seattlepi.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "2 Prisoners Mistakenly Released Early Now Charged In Killings : NPR". npr.org. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Oregon prison tackles solitary confinement with Blue Room experiment | OregonLive.com". oregonlive.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Washington prison mimicking Oregon program showing nature videos to solitary prisoners | OregonLive.com". oregonlive.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.