Waffle House Index
The Waffle House Index is an informal metric used by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to determine the effect of a storm and the likely scale of assistance required for disaster recovery.
- "If you get there and the Waffle House is closed? That's really bad. That's when you go to work."
- GREEN: full menu - restaurant has power and damage is limited.
- YELLOW: limited menu - no power or only power from a generator, or food supplies may be low.
- RED: the restaurant is closed - indicating severe damage.
The measure is based on the reputation of the restaurant chain Waffle House for staying open during extreme weather and for reopening quickly, albeit sometimes with a limited menu, after very severe weather events such as tornadoes or hurricanes. Waffle House, along with other chains (such as Home Depot, Walmart, and Lowe's) which do a significant proportion of their business in the southern US where there is a frequent risk of hurricanes, have good risk management and disaster preparedness. Because of this, and a cut-down menu prepared for times when there is no power or limited supplies, the Waffle House Index rarely reaches the red level.
The Waffle House Index sits alongside more formal measures of wind, rainfall, and other weather information, such as the Saffir–Simpson Hurricane Scale, which are used to indicate the intensity of a storm.
On Thursday October 6, 2016, the index reached red when all Waffle House restaurants on Florida's I-95 between Titusville and Fort Pierce were closed. This index change was caused by Hurricane Matthew ravaging Caribbean islands and the east coast of the United States.
- McKenna, Maryn (6 December 2016). "If Waffle House Is Closed, It's Time To Panic". FiveThirtyEight. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- "How to Measure a Storm's Fury One Breakfast at a Time". Wall Street Journal. September 1, 2011.
- "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!: Craig Fugate". National Public Radio. May 28, 2016.
- "What Do Waffles Have to Do with Risk Management?". EHS Today. July 6, 2011.
- "What the Waffle House Can Teach About Managing Supply Chain Risk". Insurance Journal. July 19, 2011.
- Helsel, Phil (6 October 2016). "Waffle Houses Close in Florida, in Bad 'Index' Omen". NBC News (Waffle House Index reaches red). Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- FEMA Blog: News of the Day (July 7, 2011) – What do Waffle Houses Have to Do with Risk Management?
- Always Open | Georgia Tech Alumni Magazine
- Colbert Report segment on FEMA's Waffle House Index
- Data Crunch episode on the Waffle House Index