WPLP-LP ("Bulldog 93-3") is a radio station licensed to Athens, Georgia, United States that airs an alternative rock format. The station's slogan is The Sound of Athens. The station was started by Paul Francis and began as a not-for-profit, grassroots station. The station operates from the Fred Building on College Avenue in downtown Athens. The station plays limited commercials. The station is known for encouraging local music and musicians by asking for submissions of local music and playing the song of the winner of the Athens Area High School Battle of the Bands.
|Broadcast area||Metro Athens|
|Frequency||93.3 FM MHz|
First air date
|February 20, 2014|
|HAAT||29.3 meters (96 ft)|
|Webcast||Bulldog 93.3 live stream|
|Website||Bulldog 93.3 website|
Bulldog 93.3 was criticized by Athens community members in February 2018 for owner Paul Francis' response to an advertising request from the United Campus Workers of Georgia.
In January 2021, the station was fined $10,000, after admitting to airing commercials with prohibited promotional language.
- "New rock station launches in Athens". Online Athens. Athens Banner-Herald. Retrieved April 29, 2021.
- Schilling, Erin. "A.D. Blanco wins Athens area battle of the bands, Fishbug judges' choice". The Red and Black. The Red and Black. Retrieved April 29, 2021.
- Webb, Ashlyn. "Bulldog 93.3 refuses to advertise UGA union, criticized by community". The Red and Black. The Red and Black. Retrieved April 29, 2021.
- "FCC Report 1/24: Athens LPFM Fined For Airing Commercials", RadioInsight. January 24, 2021. Retrieved March 8, 2021.
- Bulldog 93-3 online
- WPLP in the FCC FM station database
- WPLP-LP on Radio-Locator
- WPLP in Nielsen Audio's FM station database