WPKN (89.5 FM) is a 100% non-commercial, listener supported radio station broadcasting at 89.5 FM in Bridgeport, Connecticut and formerly 88.7 FM (WPKM) in Montauk, New York. Its volunteer programmers present a wide variety of music and public affairs programming including the syndicated weekly radio news magazine Between the Lines and a bi-weekly show hosted by environmental journalist Jim Motavalli. WPKN's programming can also be heard on the internet as a live audio stream.
|Broadcast area||Bridgeport, Connecticut|
|Slogan||The Real Alternative|
|Translator(s)||102.5 W273CN (Westport)|
|First air date||1963|
|HAAT||169 meters (554 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||W Purple Knights Network|
WPKN was founded in 1963 as the college radio station of the University of Bridgeport, but became independent of the university in 1989. The call letters originally stood for "Purple Knights Network," named after a university sports team.
Many stations below the 92 MHz FM band receive funds from commercial entities despite being part of the non-commercial radio band. This is thought by some to present the potential for conflicts of interest. WPKN only takes funds from private donors with no stipulations for their expenditure attached. This allows the music and news programmers complete freedom to produce their own shows with no outside pressure.
- "Radio Station Offers Everything But Consistency". New York Times. October 27, 1991. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- Beth Young (May 25, 2010). "New radio station will focus on East End community". East Hampton Press. Retrieved February 13, 2012.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WPKN
- Radio-Locator information on WPKN
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WPKN
|This article about a radio station in Connecticut is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|