Funke Mediengruppe (formerly WAZ-Mediagroup) is Germany's third largest newspaper and magazine publisher with a total of over 500 publications in eight countries. WAZ-Mediengruppe is privately held by the Funke family and is headquartered in Essen, North Rhine-Westphalia.
The group's largest paper is Westdeutsche Allgemeine Zeitung, the largest newspaper in the Ruhr metropolitan region. Other properties in Germany include the TV magazine Gong and the woman's magazine Die Aktuelle. Besides Germany, Funke Mediengruppe has publications in Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Albania, and Russia. The company formed Media Print Macedonia and owns several newspapers and magazines in Macedonia. It also partially owns the Austrian Kronen Zeitung and Kurier.
In December 2010 WAZ Mediagroup sold all its assets in Bulgaria to a joint venture between Austrian investors and local tycoons. Until then the company had owned the two largest daily newspapers Trud and 24 hours, the weekly newspaper 168 hours, and a large portfolio of magazines.
In 2012, the Funke family bought out the shares of the Brost family and renamed the company. In 2013, Funke acquired several papers and magazines, including Berliner Morgenpost, Hamburger Abendblatt, Bild der Frau, and Hörzu, from Axel Springer AG.
- "Funke Mediengruppe to acquire part of Axel Springer portfolio". Euwid. 29 July 2013. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "FUNKE MEDIA GROUP awards complete periodicals logistics to Logwin". Logwin Logistics. 23 September 2014. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- Agnes Handwerk; Harrie Willems (January 2004). "WAZ and the Buy-out of the Macedonian Independent Press" (PDF). Press Now. Amsterdam. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 January 2017. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "Media Markets: Austria Country Overview". Russian Telecom. August 2004. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- Axel Springer to Sell Publications to Funke for $1.2 Billion
- Stefan Schultz; Vanessa Steinmetz; Christian Teevs (26 July 2013). "Sell-Off: Newspaper Giant Turns Back on Journalism". Der Spiegel. Retrieved 29 March 2015.