Vince Aletti (born 1945) is a curator, writer, and photography critic.
|Born||1945 (age 73–74)|
|Occupation||Curator, Writer, Photography Critic|
|Employer||The New Yorker|
Aletti was a contributing writer for Rolling Stone from 1970 to 1989. He was the first person to write about disco in an article published by the magazine in 1973. He also wrote a weekly column about disco for the music trade magazine Record World (1974–1979), and reported about early clubs like David Mancuso's The Loft for The Village Voice in the late 1970s and 1980s. Aletti was a senior editor at The Village Voice for nearly 20 years until leaving in early 2005.
Aletti has also curated numerous photography exhibitions, and has contributed writing for dozens of photography books. In 1998, Aletti was the curator of a highly praised exhibition of art and photography called Male, which was followed up in 1999 by Female, both at Wessel + O'Connor Gallery in New York. In conjunction with those shows, he was the co-editor the book "Male/Female: 105 photographs" published by Aperture in 1999, featuring his interview with Madonna, which was later anthologized in Da Capo's Best Music Writing (2000).
In 2000, he was the co-curator of an exhibition called Settings & Players: Theatrical Ambiguity in American Photography at London's White Cube. The following year Aletti organized Steven Klein American Beauty a retrospective exhibition of Steven Klein's fashion work for the Musée de l'Élysée in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Aletti was one of the two featured writers of The Book of 101 Books: Seminal Photographic Books of the Twentieth Century (2001).
In 2005, Aletti was the recipient of the Infinity Award for writing by The International Center for Photography.
Exhibitions curated by AlettiEdit
- 1998: Male. Wessel + O'Connor Gallery, New York.
- 1999: Male/Female. Wessel + O'Connor Gallery, New York.
- 2000: Settings & Players: Theatrical Ambiguity in American Photography. White Cube, London.
- 2001: Steven Klein American Beauty. Musée de l’Élysée, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 2008: Male: work from the collection of Vince Aletti. White Columns, New York.
- 2010: Dress Codes The Third ICP Triennial of Photography and Video. International Centre of Photography, New York. Curated with Kristen Lubben, Christopher Phillips, and Carol Squiers.
Publications with contributions by AlettiEdit
- "Peter Hujar". NewYork: Grey Art Gallery and Study Center, New York University, 1990. ISBN 978-0934349079
- Male/Female: 105 Photographs. New York: Aperture, 1999. ISBN 978-0893818814
- Settings and Players: Theatrical Ambiguity in American Photography. London: White Cube, 2001. ISBN 978-0952269052
- Four Days in LA: The Versace Collection. London: White Cube, 2001. ISBN 978-0952269076
- The Book of 101 Books: Seminal Photographic Books of the Twentieth Century. New York: PPP Editions, 2001. ISBN 978-0967077444
- Snapshots: The Eye Of the Century. Berlin: Hatje Cantz Publishers, 2004. ISBN 978-3775713962
- David Hilliard. New York: Aperture, 2005. ISBN 978-1931788588
- Ingar Krauss: Portraits. Berlin: Hatje Cantz Publishers, 2006. ISBN 978-3775716789
- Mark Cohen:True Color. New York: powerHouse Books, 2007. ISBN 978-1576873724
- Face of Fashion. New York: Aperture, 2007. ISBN 978-1597110396
- Hedi Slimane: Rock Diary. Zurich: JRP|Ringier, 2008. ISBN 978-3905829600
- Bruce of Los Angeles: Inside/Outside. New York: Antinous Press, 2008. ISBN 978-1576874691
- Look at me: Photographs from Mexico City by Jed Fielding. Chicago: University Of Chicago Press, 2009. ISBN 978-0226248523
- Avedon Fashion 1944-2000. New York: Harry N. Abrams, 2009. ISBN 978-0810983892
- The Disco Files 1973-78: New York's Underground Week by Week. New York: DJhistory.com, 2009. ISBN 978-0956189608
- Male: From the Collection of Vince Aletti. New York: PPP Editions, 2010. ISBN 978-0971548060
- Michael Thompson: Portraits. Bologna: Damiani, 2011. ISBN 978-8862081566
- Saul Leiter. Heidelberg: Kehrer Verlag, 2012. ISBN 978-3868282580
- New York at Night: Photography After Dark. New York: powerHouse Books, 2012. ISBN 978-1576876169
- A Respect for Light: The Latin American Photographs: 1974-2008. New York: Glitterati, 2014. ISBN 978-0991341962
- Peter Hujar: Love & Lust. San Francisco: Fraenkel Gallery, 2014. ISBN 978-1881337379
- Mark Cohen: Dark Knees. Paris: Lebal, 2014. ISBN 978-2365110426
- Stephen Irwin. Berlin: r/e projects, 2015. ISBN 978-3000479977
- David Wojnarowicz: Brush Fires in the Social Landscape: Twentieth Anniversary Edition. New York: Aperture, 2015. ISBN 978-1597112949
- Peter Hujar: Lost Downtown. New York: Pace MacGill Gallery, 2016. ISBN 978-3958291065
Magazine articles by AlettiEdit
- Aletti, Vince (June 7, 2010). "XX factor". Goings on About Town. Critic's Notebook. The New Yorker. 86 (16): 17. Retrieved 29 October 2011. Reviews the 'Pictures by Women: A History of Modern Photography' exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA).
- — (April 4, 2011). "Flaming Creature". Goings on About Town. Critic's Notebook. The New Yorker. 87 (7): 17. Discusses Mark Morrisroe.
- — (December 19–26, 2011). "Major League". Goings on About Town. Critic's Notebook. The New Yorker. 87 (41): 12. Reviews the 'Radical Camera' exhibition at the Jewish Museum.
- — (January 16, 2012). "Super Nanny". Goings on About Town. Critic's Notebook. The New Yorker. 87 (44): 6. Vivian Maier.
- — (November 26, 2012). "Reality Bites". Goings on About Town. Critic's Notebook. The New Yorker. 88 (37): 14. Reviews 'Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop' at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- — (February 4, 2013). "Ongoing concern". Goings on About Town. Critic's Notebook. The New Yorker. 88 (46): 8. Retrospectives of Roman Vishniac and David Seymour at the International Center of Photography.
- — (April 1, 2013). "Shadow man". Goings on About Town. Critic's Notebook. The New Yorker. 89 (7): 10. Retrospective of Bill Brandt at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA).
- — (April 29, 2013). "Battle seen". Goings on About Town. Critic's Notebook. The New Yorker. 89 (11): 10. Photography and the American Civil War at the Met.
- — (July 1, 2013). "Out of order". Goings on About Town. Critic's Notebook. The New Yorker. 89 (19): 10. A Different Kind of Order at the International Center of Photography.
- — (November 4, 2013). "Dispatches : photographers confront war, at the Brooklyn Museum". Goings on About Town. Art. The New Yorker. 89 (35): 27. War/Photography : Images of Armed Conflict and Its Aftermath.
- Broughton, Frank (2007). La historia del DJ. Ediciones Robinbook. pp. 206–208. ISBN 978-84-96222-58-8.
- "The New Disco Elite". New York Magazine. March 26, 1979. p. 37.
- Video: An Evening with Nan Goldin and Vince Aletti: Remembering Peter Hujar
- Video: Vince Aletti: Face of Fashion: Fashion Photography, Art Direction, and Magazine Design
- Video: Saul Leiter in Conversation with Vince Aletti
- Video: Vince Aletti on Peter Hujar’s Love & Lust
- Video: Talk with Mark Cohen and Vince Aletti at LE BAL, Paris
- Video: Joe Szabo & Vince Aletti | Rolling Stones Fans