VinUni (formally VinUniversity) (Vietnamese: Trường Đại học VinUni) is a private and nonprofit university located in Hanoi, Vietnam. VinUni was established by the private corporate Vingroup following the approval by the Prime Minister of Vietnam in March 2018. According to VinUni, its inaugural class of the academic year 2020-2021 will consist of about 300 students, whereas its full capacity would be at around 3500 students.
Trường Đại học VinUniversity
|President||Lê Mai Lan|
|Students||300 (inaugural year) - 3500 (at full capacity|
230,000 square metres (56.83 acres)
In November 2017, Vingroup began its collaboration with the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business of Cornell University in order to explore the development of a new private university in Vietnam aiming at QS 5-star rating standard. According to Cornell, it would be in charge of the creation of the initial leadership and faculty for VinUni from its own faculty members, as well as the examination and validation of the quality of curricula developed by VinUni. Expanding this initiative, in April 2018 Vingroup signed a strategic collaboration and strategic alliance with Cornell and another Ivy League member - University of Pennsylvania, which agreed with supporting the VinUniversity Project with the development of its undergraduate and graduate medical training programs. A year later, dean of external relations at the SC Johnson College of Business Professor Rohit Verma was appointed to be the founding provost of VinUni in April 2018.
Alongside with the creation of strategic partnership with Cornell and UPenn, Vingroup also proceeded with the administrative and physical foundations for the VinUni Project by successfully applying for an approvals of establishment and operation by the Government of Vietnam in March 2018 and December 2019 respectively, and beginning the construction of the VinUni campus in November 2018. In 15 January 2020, this main campus of VinUniversity was officially inaugurated at the Opening Ceremony with the presence of the Deputy Prime Minister Vũ Đức Đam and Minister of Education and Training Phùng Xuân Nhạ.
VinUniversity Campus is located next to Vinhomes Ocean Park - a 420-ha residential area newly established by Vingroup in Gia Lâm District of Hanoi. After the ground-breaking ceremony in November 2018, it took Vingroup only one year and two months to complete the first phase of the campus over an area of 230,000 square metres (56.83 acres) at a cost of around 6,500 billion VND. Aside from classrooms, the office area, library, and laboratories, the main VinUni campus is also equipped with a 1,500-seat auditorium, a sport complex with swimming pool and facilities for various sports. In this initial phase, the 24/7 library of VinUni has a total area of 4,000 square metres (43,055.64 sq ft), which is sufficient for around 1,000 students concurrently. As a self-contained campus, VinUni Ocean Park Campus has separate dormitories for all freshmen, as well as for faculties, who will live and work alongside with their students.
VinUni is organized into 3 colleges with 9 programs in total, including:
|College of Business and ManagementNatural Sciences||College of Health Sciences||College of Engineering and Computer Science|
|Bachelor of Business Administration||Doctor of Medicine||Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering|
|Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management||Bachelor of Nursing||Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering|
|Bachelor of Science in Real Estate||Graduate Medical Education Programs||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science|
Notes and referencesEdit
- Dương, Tâm. "Khánh thành trường Đại học VinUni". VnExpress. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- Vũ, Đức Đam (2 March 2018). "Công văn số 290/TTg-KGVX của Thủ tướng Chính phủ : V/v chủ trương cho phép thành lập Trường Đại học VinUni". chinhphu.vn. Government Office (Vietnam). Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- "VinUniversity Project". business.cornell.edu. Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- "Vingroup-Penn Alliance". med.upenn.edu. Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- Giufurta, Alec (7 April 2019). "Johnson Dean Rohit Verma Named Founding Provost at Vietnamese University". cornellsun.com. The Cornell Daily Sun. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- Minh Tuấn (27 December 2019). "VinUni được phê duyệt thành lập, hoạt động theo mô hình đại học tinh hoa". Vietnamnet.vn. Vietnamnet. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- Mạnh Xuân (14 November 2018). "Khởi công xây dựng Trường đại học VinUni". nhandan.com.vn. Nhân Dân. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- V.Hà (16 January 2020). "Khánh thành trường ĐH VinUni: Đặt mục tiêu đẳng cấp thế giới". tuoitre.vn. Tuổi Trẻ. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- "Facilities". vinuni.edu.vn. VinUniversity. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- Việt Hùng & Quyên Quyên (14 January 2020). "Cận cảnh VinUni, trường được đầu tư 6.500 tỷ, mang kiến trúc châu Âu". zingnews.vn. Zing News. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- "PROPOSED ACADEMIC PROGRAMS FOR THE FIRST ACADEMIC YEAR 2020-2021". vinuni.edu.vn. VinUniversity. Retrieved 29 April 2020.