The Vilayet of Adana (Ottoman Turkish: ولايت اطنه, Vilâyet-i Adana; was a first-level administrative division (vilayet) of the Ottoman Empire in the south-east of Asia Minor, which encompassed the region of Cilicia. It was established in May 1869. Adana Vilayet bordered with Konya Vilayet (in west), Ankara Vilayet and Sivas Vilayet (in north), and Haleb Vilayet (in east and south). Adana Vilayet corresponds to the modern region of Çukurova in Turkey.
|Vilayet of the Ottoman Empire|
The Adana Vilayet in 1892
|Today part of||Turkey|
At the beginning of the 20th century it reportedly had an area of 14,494 square miles (37,540 km2), while the preliminary results of the first Ottoman census of 1885 (published in 1908) gave the population as 402,439. The accuracy of the population figures ranges from "approximate" to "merely conjectural" depending on the region from which they were gathered.
It was described by the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica as rich in unexploited mineral wealth in the mountainous districts, and fertile in the coast-plain, which produced cotton, rice, cereals, sugar and fruit. In 1920, the region was noted for its forested western region, which had little agricultural production. The Cilicia region was noted for its agricultural production, including wheat, barley, oats, rice, seeds, opium, sugarcane and cotton. Cotton production became more popular before World War I. In 1912, the region produced 110,000 bales of cotton and 35,000 tons of cottonseed. Pyrite was mined in the region in the early 20th century.
Sanjaks of the Vilayet and their kazas:
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. .
- "1914 Census Statistics" (PDF). Turkish General Staff. pp. 605–606. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- Geographical Dictionary of the World. Concept Publishing Company. p. 1796. ISBN 978-81-7268-012-1. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Salname-yi Vilâyet-i Adana ("Yearbook of the Vilayet of Adana"), Adana vilâyet matbaası, Adana, 1321 . in the website of Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- Ronald Grigor Suny; Fatma Muge Gocek; Norman M. Naimark (26 January 2011). A Question of Genocide:Armenians and Turks at the End of the Ottoman Empire. Oxford University Press. p. 67. ISBN 978-0-19-979276-4. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- Asia by A. H. Keane, page 459
- Prothero, G.W. (1920). Anatolia. London: H.M. Stationery Office.
- Prothero, G.W. (1920). Anatolia. London: H.M. Stationery Office. p. 106.
- Adana Vilayeti | Tarih ve Medeniyet