Victoria Coach Station
Victoria Coach Station is the largest coach station in London, located in the central district of Victoria in the City of Westminster. It serves as a terminus for many medium- and long-distance coach services in the United Kingdom and is also the departure point for many countryside coach tours originating from London. It is operated by Victoria Coach Station Limited, a subsidiary of Transport for London (TfL).
Victoria Coach Station
|Location||Buckingham Palace Road
Victoria, London, SW1
|Owned by||Transport for London|
|Operated by||Transport for London|
|Passengers||14 million (2013/14)|
Victoria Coach Station was opened at its present site in Buckingham Palace Road, Victoria, in 1932, by London Coastal Coaches, a consortium of coach operators. The building is in a distinctive Art Deco style, the architects for which were Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. In 1970 the coach operators' association which managed the station became a subsidiary of the National Bus Company.
The freeholder of the site, Grosvenor Group, announced in 2013 that it wishes to redevelop the site and relocate the station elsewhere in London. However, the building was listed at Grade II by English Heritage in 2014.
Victoria Coach Station has separate arrival and departure terminals which are located on opposite sides of Elizabeth Street. The main departures building includes food and retail outlets, left-luggage facilities and a ticket hall.
There are 21 departure gates, with the site covering 3.3 acres (13,000 m2). In the 12 months to March 2014, 14 million passengers travelled on 240,000 services to and from the station.
Services are operated by:
- Companies House extract company no 205610 Victoria Coach Station Limited
- "Victoria Coach Station - Celebrating 75 years of service". Transport for London. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- Spittles, David (21 August 2013). "Victoria's £2-billion transformation as its coach station becomes a cultural quarter with homes, shops and arts venues". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- Historic England. "Victoria Coach Station Ltd, 164 Buckingham Palace Road, London, SW1W 9TP (Grade II) (1418262)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Annual Report for year ended 31 March 2014 Transport for London
- "Coach companies - Transport for London". Retrieved 2015-05-25.