Victoria is the title of a Spanish-language telenovela about a woman who falls in love with a dashing younger man, when her marriage collapses around her. It is produced by the United States-based television network Telemundo and RTI Colombia. This limited-run series debuted in the U.S. on December 4, 2007, after La Esclava Isaura finished. Filmed in Bogotá, it stars Victoria Ruffo, Mauricio Ochmann, Arturo Peniche, and Andrea López.
|Based on||Señora Isabel|
by Mónica Agudelo and Bernardo Romero Pereiro
|Creative director||Piedad Arango|
|Music by||Miguel de Narváez|
|Opening theme||"Desde que te conocí" by Alejandro Fernández and Rocío Banquells|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||171|
|Executive producer||Hugo León Ferrer|
|Audio format||Stereophonic sound|
|Original release||December 4, 2007 –|
August 1, 2008
|Preceded by||El Zorro, la espada y la rosa|
|Followed by||Doña Bárbara|
In her 25th wedding anniversary party, Victoria Mendoza (Victoria Ruffo) finds out her husband Enrique Mendoza (Arturo Peniche) has a mistress, Tatiana López (Andrea Lopez). Suddenly Victoria's whole life crashes around her as she realizes her marriage is wrecked. As she tries to heal the pain of her husband's adultery, she meets the 33-year-old Jerónimo (Mauricio Ochmann) out of the blue.
Victoria falls for this younger man, giving her a second chance at the true love and passion missing in her loveless marriage. Many of her loved ones oppose her relationship, including her daughters Paula (Geraldine Bazán) and Mariana (Laura Perico), her mother Mercedes (Margalida Castro) and her ex-husband. They blame her for the breakup. On the other hand, her son Santiago (Ricardo Abarca) offers unconditional support. Victoria has many problems but does she know she has those problems? Can she solve them? So Victoria faces a difficult decision: either fight to keep true love alive or surrender and let it slip away.
Victoria is a remake of Mirada de mujer (The Gaze of a Woman) [which is a remake of the lost 1993 Colombian telenovela Señora Isabel] and of its sequel, El Regreso. This show's working titles were Tiempos de Victoria (Victoria's Times), Señora Isabel and The Mauricio Ochmann Project.
The show's premiere on Telemundo reached 782,000 core adult (ages 18–49) viewers, according to NTI, and over 1.5 million total viewers overall. The expanded the series' run to about 160 chapters from the standard length, 120 shows. There was no question of announcing any plans to remake Mirada's sequel, El Regreso (The Return) as Victoria covered El Regreso (both in one). Géraldine Bazán won a Latin ACE Award for "Best Inspiring Young Actress" during her role as Paula.
Victoria airs on Caracol TV in Colombia, on Telemundo in the United States, on Fox televizija in Serbia, on Nova TV - September 26, 2008 and Diema Family - January 5, 2009 in Bulgaria, Televisa (on Galavisión) in Mexico, on POP TV in Slovenia, on NTV Hayat in Bosnia and Herzegovina, on Acasǎ in Bucharest, Romania, from August 2009 in Slovakia on TV Doma, on Shant TV in Armenia and from August 2009 on Farsi1 EutelSat Satellite TV Channel (Farsi1 later confirmed censoring some scenes including kisses and sexual actions in order to adapt the serial to Iranian culture).
On August 4, 2008, Telemundo broadcast the alternate ending of Victoria through Yahoo! Telemundo. It was the first alternate ending of a Spanish Telenovela ever aired by Telemundo in the United States. The first ending was romantic; the second was realism. Victoria let Ochmann leave; then we saw her talking about how she's got everything (and doesn't need him): like her business, her grandchild, her amigas sinceras, etc. There was an off-stage third ending wherein Ochmann made a pareja with Adriana Campos ("Yumelay from Zorro"—cute little Indian), who played his middle-story girlfriend (Penelope) in Spain whom he eventually left to go back to Victoria.
Product placements in the US version of this show include: JCPenney, T-Mobile Scrubbing Bubbles, Budweiser, Bud Light, Windex, Oust, Lysol, State Farm, Visa, Lowe's, The Home Depot, Walmart and Pledge. In some cases, Telemundo news programs can be seen or heard while characters are watching TV, even though this show is set in Bogota, Colombia.
(in order of appearance)
- Victoria Ruffo .... Victoria Santiesteban Estrada De Mendoza/ De Acosta
- Mauricio Ochmann .... Jerónimo Acosta
- Arturo Peniche .... Enrique Mendoza
- Andrea López .... Tatiana López De Mendoza
- Roberto Manrique .... Sebastian Villanueva
- Diana Quijano .... Camila Matiz
- Javier Delgiudice .... Gerardo Cárdenas
- María Helena Doehring .... Helena De Cárdenas
- Camilo Trujillo .... Arturo Cárdenas
- Margalida Castro .... Mercedes "Memé" Estrada Vda. De Santiesteban
- José Julián Gaviria.... Martín Acosta
- Géraldine Bazán .... Paula Mendoza Santiesteban De Villanueva
- Ricardo Abarca .... Santiago Mendoza Santiesteban
- Laura Perico .... Mariana Mendoza Santiesteban
- Patricia Grisales..... Carlota
- Adriana Romero.... Valeria
- Andrés Felipe Martínez ..... Guillermo
- Laura Londoño .... Eliza
- Ricardo González .... Henry Irazábal
- Liliana Calderón.... Fernanda
- Natalia Bedoya.... Estrella
- Llega 'Victoria' al horario estelar de Telemundo una hermosa historia donde el amor no tiene edad a partir del 4 de diciebre a las 9PM/8 c. Published: November 29, 2007
- Video. Published: December 5, 2007.
- Telemundo (2007–2008).
- Latin New York ACE Awards Recognizes Geraldine Bazan as Best Impact of the Year.
- "Adriana Campos y Mauricio Ochmann". www.actuemos.net. Archived from the original on 2010-05-23.