Victor Harold Vroom (August 9, 1932 – July 26, 2023) was a Canadian psychologist and business school professor at the Yale School of Management.
Victor Harold Vroom
August 9, 1932
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Died||July 26, 2023(aged 90)|
|Alma mater||McGill University|
University of Michigan
|Occupation(s)||Professor, motivation theorist|
Life and career edit
His primary research was on the expectancy theory of motivation, which attempts to explain why individuals choose to follow certain courses of action and prefer certain goals or outcomes over others in organizations, particularly in decision-making and leadership. His most well-known books are Work and Motivation, Leadership and Decision Making and The New Leadership. In this theory, he suggested that motivation is largely influenced by the combination of a person's belief that effort leads to performance, which then leads to specific outcomes, and that such outcomes are valued by the individual. Along with the version of Lyman Porter and Edward Lawler, Vroom's formulation is generally considered as representing major contributions to expectancy theory, having stood the test of time and historical scrutiny.
Vroom described the valence of a specific outcome as "a monotonically increasing function of the algebraic sum of the products of the valences of all other outcomes and his conceptions of its instrumentality for the attainment of these other outcomes." The second proposition central to Vroom's theory maintains that "the force on a person to perform an act is monotonically increasing function of the algebraic sum of the products of the valences of all outcomes and the strength of his experiences that the act will be followed by the attainment of these outcomes."
Victor Vroom was appointed Chairman of the Department of Administrative Sciences and associate Director of the Institution for Social and Policy Studies at Yale in 1972. Victor lived in Guilford, Connecticut with his second wife, Julia Francis, and their two sons, Tristan and Trevor.. He died on July 26, 2023, at the age of 90.
See also edit
- "Victor H. Vroom". Library of Congress. Retrieved 6 August 2023.
- Wlodarczyk, Andrzej Z. (2011). Work Motivation: A Systemic Framework for a Multilevel Strategy. Bloomington, IN: AuthorHouse. p. 124. ISBN 9781456749576.
- Miner, John (2007). Organizational Behavior 4: From Theory to Practice. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe. p. 67. ISBN 9780765615299.
- Koppes, Laura L. (2014). Historical Perspectives in Industrial and Organizational Psychology. New York: Psychology Press. p. 364. ISBN 978-0805844399.
- "Remembering Professor Victor H. Vroom, 1932-2023 | Yale School of Management". som.yale.edu. Retrieved 2023-08-02.