Sir Victor Mallet(9 April 1893 – 18 May 1969) was a British diplomat and author.
Victor Alexander Louis Mallet was educated at Winchester College and Balliol College, Oxford. In 1914 he joined the Cambridgeshire Regiment and served during World War I with the British Expeditionary Force and later in Ireland, reaching the rank of Captain. He joined the Diplomatic Service in 1919 and held posts in Tehran 1919–22 and 1933–35, Buenos Aires 1926–28, Brussels 1929–32, Washington D.C. 1936–39 and in the Foreign Office 1922–26 and 1932. He was Envoy to Sweden 1940–45 during World War II and Ambassador to Spain 1945–46 and to Italy 1947–53.
Victor Mallet was son of Sir Bernard Mallet and his wife Marie, daughter of Henry John Adeane by his wife, Lady Elizabeth Yorke, daughter of the 4th Earl of Hardwicke. His mother was a Maid of Honour to Queen Victoria and he was godson to the Queen. His book Life with Queen Victoria, a record of his mother's letters written during her service, was published in 1968.
He married Christiana Jean Andreae, daughter of Herman Anton Andreae, of Moundsmere Manor, in Hampshire, and his wife, Christiana Candida (née Ahrens) in 1925; they had three sons and a daughter, Anne Marie, who married Patrick Butler, 18th/28th Baron Dunboyne in 1950.
Victor Mallet was appointed CMG in the New Year Honours of 1934 and CVO in 1939. He was knighted KCMG in the New Year Honours of 1944 and raised to GCMG in the Queen's Birthday Honours of 1952.
Mallet's father's family was primarily of gentry and civil service classes. His mother's family was aristocratic, including prominent historical figures and MPs.
|Ancestors of Victor Mallet|
- MALLET, Sir Victor Alexander Louis, Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2007; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012
- The Papers of Sir Victor Mallet, Churchill Archives Centre, University of Cambridge
- Sir Victor Mallet (obituary), The Times, London, 19 May 1969, page 10
- "No. 37278". The London Gazette. 2 May 1919. p. 4707.
- "No. 34831". The London Gazette. 16 April 1940. p. 2240.
- "No. 37278". The London Gazette. 21 September 1945. p. 4707.
- "No. 38192". The London Gazette (Supplement). 30 January 1948. p. 742.
- "No. 34010". The London Gazette (Supplement). 1 January 1934. p. 6.
- "No. 34641". The London Gazette (Supplement). 30 June 1939. p. 4435.
- "No. 36309". The London Gazette (Supplement). 1 January 1944. p. 6.
- "No. 39555". The London Gazette (Supplement). 5 June 1952. p. 3011.
- Portraits of Sir Victor Alexander Louis Mallet at the National Portrait Gallery, London
- "Archival material relating to Mallet, Sir Victor Alexander Louis (1893-1969) Knight Diplomat". UK National Archives.
Sir Edmund Monson, 3rd Baronet
| Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to His Majesty the King of Sweden
Sir Bertrand Jerram
Samuel Hoare, 1st Viscount Templewood
| Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary at Madrid
Sir Douglas Howard
Sir Noel Charles
| Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary at Rome
Sir Ashley Clarke