Venus Talk (Korean: 관능의 법칙; RR: Gwanneungui Bubchik; lit. "The Laws of Pleasures") is a 2014 South Korean film about the sex and love lives of three women in their forties, played by Uhm Jung-hwa, Moon So-ri and Jo Min-su. The romantic dramedy is directed by Kwon Chil-in. The screenplay by Lee Soo-ah won the Grand Prize at the 1st Lotte Entertainment Script Contest. It was released in theaters on February 13, 2014.
|Directed by||Kwon Chil-in|
|Produced by||Jaime Shim |
|Written by||Lee Soo-ah|
|Starring||Uhm Jung-hwa |
|Music by||Park In-young|
|Edited by||Kim Sang-bum |
|Distributed by||Lotte Entertainment|
|Box office||US$5.1 million|
Shin-hye (Uhm Jung-hwa) is a capable, successful TV producer, sometimes derided as a "gold miss" for still being single in her forties. Her protege-turned-longtime boyfriend, the current chief of their TV network, just left her for a younger woman who also happens to be Shin-hye's junior colleague.
Shin-hye has two best friends, Mi-yeon (Moon So-ri), a housewife who isn't satisfied with her sex life with her rather docile husband Jae-ho (Lee Sung-min), and Hae-young (Jo Min-su), a soft-hearted, divorced single mother who wants her grown daughter Soo-jung (Jeon Hye-jin) to move out so she can have more time with her widowed boyfriend, carpenter Sung-jae (Lee Geung-young).
Soon, life gets better for the three friends. Shin-hye begins a thrilling relationship with a younger man (Lee Jae-yoon), another TV producer who is 17 years her junior; she tries to keep the relationship casual but can't stop herself from falling for him. Mi-yeon and Jae-ho enjoy a second honeymoon after their daughter leaves to study abroad and he starts taking Viagra. Soo-jung finally gets married upon her unexpected pregnancy and moves out of Hae-young's home. But things take a turn when Hae-young is diagnosed with cancer, and Mi-yeon finds out her husband had an affair.
- Uhm Jung-hwa as Jung Shin-hye
- Moon So-ri as Jo Mi-yeon
- Jo Min-su as Lee Hae-young
- Lee Geung-young as Choi Sung-jae
- Lee Sung-min as Lee Jae-ho
- Lee Jae-yoon as Hwang Hyun-seung
- Jeon Hye-jin as Kim Soo-jung
- Choi Moo-sung as Lee Sung-wook
- Kwon Hae-hyo as Representative Park
- Kim Ho-jin as Gu Dong-wook
- Jin Seon-kyu as Kim Dae-ri
- Lee So-yoon as Lee Se-young
- Seol Ji-yoon as Cafe owner
- Jang Hyuk-jin as Detective
- Kim Yong-jun as Dermatologist
- Kim Si-jeong as Internal medicine doctor
- Jo Woo-jin as PD Choi
- Jang Seo-yi as Masseuse
- BoA as Song Beom-sik (cameo)
Awards and nominationsEdit
- Nomination: Best Supporting Actor - Lee Geung-young
- Song, Soon-jin (28 January 2014). "Myung Films' Jamie SHIM: "Forging the New Within Commercial Cinema"". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Conran, Pierce (27 January 2014). "Venus Talk". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Ha, Jeong-min (28 February 2014). "KWON Chil-in, the Director of VENUS TALK: "Definitely, I Like Women's Stories"". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- Tae, Sang-joon (2 August 2013). "THE LAW OF PLEASURES Began Filming by TAE Sang-joon: MOON So-ri, CHO Min-soo and UHM Jung-hwa Star in Korean SEX AND THE CITY". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Tae, Sang-joon (28 October 2013). "PLAN MAN and THE LAWS OF PLEASURE Wrap". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Song, Soon-jin (17 January 2014). "Press Conference for KWON Chil-in's VENUS TALK by SONG Soon-jin: Middle-Aged Women Find Their Voice in Flood of Male Movies". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Lee, Claire (2 February 2014). "Heavyweight actresses gather for Venus Talk". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Tsui, Clarence (25 March 2014). "Venus Talk (Gwanneungui Bubchik): Filmart Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- Jin, Eun-soo (30 January 2014). "Uhm Jung-hwa gets sexier than ever". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Jung, Hyun-mok (7 February 2014). "Charisma queen heads to Venus". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-02-07.