Velvet Mood: Songs by Billie Holiday is an album by jazz singer Billie Holiday, released in 1956 on Clef Records. The music was recorded over the course of two sessions in Los Angeles, two days apart, which had also resulted in all the material for her previous album Music for Torching (MG C-669).
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||August 23 & 25, 1955|
|Studio||Los Angeles, CA|
|Label||Clef MG C-713 (Verve MG V-8096)|
|Billie Holiday chronology|
|The Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
- "Prelude to a Kiss" (Duke Ellington, Irving Mills, Irving Gordon) - 5:37
- "When Your Lover Has Gone" (Einar Aaron Swan) - 4:58
- "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone" (Sam H. Stept, Sidney Clare, Bee Palmer) - 4:23
- "Nice Work If You Can Get It" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 3:48
Billie Holiday - Vocals
Benny Carter - Alto saxophone
Harry "Sweets" Edison - Trumpet
Jimmy Rowles - Piano, celesta on "I Hadn't Anyone Till You", "Everything I Have Is Yours", and "What's New?"
Barney Kessel - Guitar
John Simmons - Bass
Larry Bunker - Drums
Alex de Paula - artwork
- Velvet Mood at the Jazz Discography Project, accessed Mar 24, 2020
- Sessions of August 1955 in session index for Billie Holiday at the Jazz Discography Project, accessed Mar 24, 2020
- Velvet Mood at Allmusic
- Larkin, Colin (May 27, 2011). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music. Omnibus Press. ISBN 9780857125958 – via Google Books.