Full Throttle Motor Speedway
Full Throttle Motor Speedway @ Varney (formerly Varney International Speedway) is a 1/4 mile high banked short track motor racing oval, located south of the village of Varney, in Durham, Ontario, Canada. The track hosts a weekly Saturday night stock car racing program that runs from May to September each year.
|Canada's Fastest 1/4 Mile High Banked Paved Oval|
|Location||312853 Highway 6|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (UTC-4 DST)|
|Architect||Joe and Tom Kennedy|
|Former names||Varney Motor Speedway (2011)|
Varney Speedway Motorplex (2012-2013)
|Major events||Canada’s High Bank Nationals|
Rick Woolner Memorial
Lucas Oil Sportsman Cup
|Length||1/4 mi (0.402 km)|
In 1966 brothers Joe and Tom Kennedy purchased a 35-acre property on Highway 6 south of Varney, Ontario. In the fall of 1969 the track was constructed with paving, lights, drainage and the first grandstand. The speedway opened in June 1970 and was operated by the Kennedy family until 1985.
New ownership took over the track in 2014 and renamed the facility Full Throttle Motor Speedway.
The tracks weekly racing program features fifteen classes of racing:
- Late Model
- Retro Late Model
- Junior Late Model
- Super Stock
- Street Stock
- Fun Stock
- Mini Stock
- Kid Stock
- Thunder Truck
- Mini Truck
- Junior Mini Truck
- Outlaw Sprints
- Junior Sprint
- Legend Cars
- Crazy Trains
- Davis, Brent (July 29, 2014). "Full Throttle: New speedway owner puts pedal to the metal". The Waterloo Region Record. Retrieved July 16, 2020.
- Cowan, Greg (April 25, 2019). "Full Throttle Speedway has big-tent plans". Owen Sound Sun Times. Retrieved July 16, 2020.
- "The History of Varney International Speedway". www.fullthrottlemotorspeedway.com. Retrieved July 16, 2020.
- "The Racing 'Family': Jim Bowman says motor Sports growing locally". The Wellington Advertiser. Retrieved July 16, 2020.
- Sharples, Rick. "Full Throttle Motor Speedway". Yesterday's Speedways - The History of Motorsports in Ontario Canada. Retrieved July 16, 2020.
- "Stock car: Varney Motor Speedway sold". Auto123.com. April 24, 2014. Retrieved July 16, 2020.
- McCubbin, Ashley (April 7, 2020). "Statement from Gord Bennett, Owner of Grand Bend & Varney". Short Track Musings. Retrieved July 16, 2020.
- McCubbin, Ashley (November 19, 2019). "Full Throttle Motor Speedway Releases Tentative Varney, Grand Bend Schedule". Short Track Musings. Retrieved July 16, 2020.