Varanasi Junction railway station(Redirected from Varanasi Junction)
|This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (August 2016)|
Varanasi Junction, popularly known as Varanasi Cantt Railway Station is the rail hub in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.
|Regional rail and Light rail station|
|Location||Varanasi, Varanasi District, Uttar Pradesh
|Elevation||80.71 metres (264.8 ft)|
Varanasi–Rae Bareli–Lucknow line
|Connections||Prepaid Auto cum Taxi Stand|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Zone(s)||Northern Railway, North Eastern Railway|
|Previous names||Oudh & Rohilkund Railway|
|Railways around Varanasi|
Source: Google maps
It is partly under the administrative control of Lucknow Division of the Northern Railway Zone, and partly under the administrative control of Varanasi Division of the North Eastern Railway Zone of the Indian Railways. Former Railway Minister Ms.Mamata Bannerjee included Varanasi Cant in World-Class Railway Stations development project.
The first railway line to Benares was opened from Howrah station in December 1862. George Turnbull, the Chief Engineer of the East Indian Railway Company was responsible for deciding the route and building the 541-mile line via Bandel, Burdwan, Rajmahal and Patna. This route up the Ganges plain, with few hills, was chosen because of the primitive railway engines then available.
The station was built on the right bank of the Ganges.
The present station building on the city side was built while Kamlapati Tripathi was railway minister (1975-77). The cantonment-side building was opened in 1998 by the then railway minister Nitish Kumar. The circulating area was renovated in 2008.
The Varanasi Cantonment Railway Station has modern Route Interlock System with automated signalling system. Varanasi railway station was ranked 14 among 75 busiest A1 category stations on cleanliness scale. The station ranks 30 in overall ranking. Varanasi railway station handles large number of passengers, with more than 250 trains daily. 
Important Stations in VaranasiEdit
There are some other important railway stations in the city in order to decrease the rush at Varanasi Junction. Some stations are :
Suburban Stations in VaranasiEdit
- Mughalsarai Junction railway station
- Sarnath Railway Station
- Shivpur Railway Station
- Babatpur Railway Station
- Lohta Railway Station
- Raja Talab Railway Station
- Aunrihar Railway Station
Some of the important trains that originate and pass through station are:
- Mahamana Express to New Delhi
- Kashi Vishwanath Express to New Delhi
- Begampura Express to Jammu Tawi
- Varuna Express to Kanpur
- Lokmanya Tilak Terminus - Varanasi Express to Lokmanya Tilak Terminus
- Kamayani Express to Lokmanya Tilak Terminus
- Mahanagari Express to Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station
- Varanasi-Anand Vihar Terminal Garib Rath Express to Anand Vihar Terminal railway station
- Varanasi - Okha Superfast Express to Okha
- Mysore - Varanasi Express to Mysuru
- Varanasi - Bareilly Express to Bareilly
- Sealdah - Varanasi Express to Kolkata
- Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express via Varanasi Junction
- Swatantra Sainani Superfast Express via Varanasi Junction
- Bapu Dham Superfast Express via Varanasi Junction
- Upasana Express via Varanasi Junction
- Amritsar Mail via Varanasi Junction
- Bhirgu Superfast Express via Varanasi Junction
- Ganga Kaveri Express via Varanasi Junction
- Akal Takht Express via Varanasi Junction
- Ganga Sutlej Express via Varanasi Junction
- "Varanasi Railway Station and other Railway stations of Varanasi". 2012-10-11. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "Varanasi railway station ranks 14th on cleanliness scale".