Valkyrien (English: Valkyrie) is a 2017 Norwegian TV series first broadcast by NRK1. The series combines elements of the "Scandi noir" school of television with medical drama, crime drama and "a palpable sense of the paranoia induced by operating on the edges of society", drawing favorable comparisons with AMC's Breaking Bad.
|Created by||Erik Richter Strand|
|Directed by||Erik Richter Strand|
|Country of origin||Norway|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Executive producer||Tone Rønning|
|Running time||45 minutes|
|Budget||NOK 65 million (USD 8.2 million; GBP 6.4 million)|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||1 January –|
12 February 2017
Surgeon Ravn Eikanger becomes furious when his supervisors do not allow him to test experimental medical procedures on his dying wife. In desperation, Eikander fakes her death as an apparent suicide and brings her to a makeshift clinic in the abandoned subway station Valkyrie. He is aided by Leif Lien, a paranoid prepper, who allows Ravn stay hidden if he operates an underground hospital where those who do not trust the Norwegian health care services can seek help.
Cast and charactersEdit
- Sven Nordin as Ravn Eikanger – a brilliant surgeon who has become disillusioned and embittered after colleagues refused to allow his terminally ill wife to undergo an untested experimental treatment.
- Pål Sverre Hagen as Leif Lien – a "doomsday prepper" and a Chief Technical Officer with the Sivilforsvaret—Norway's civil defence agency—responsible for the security and maintenance of a network of Cold War-era bunkers beneath Oslo.
- Pia Halvorsen as Vilma Eikanger – Ravn's wife, a neuroimmunologist working to develop a bacteriophage for use as an antibiotic in humans.
- Ellen-Birgitte Winther as Unn Vikebø – a former colleague of Ravn and Vilma at the Oslo University Hospital.
- Mikkel Bratt Silset as Teodor "Teo" Naustvik – Leif's friend, wanted by the police for his part in a bungled bank robbery and on the run with NOK 62 million (EUR 6.7 million; USD 7.8 million; GBP 6 million).
- Gine Cornelia Pedersen as Marit Naustvik – Teo's pregnant wife.
- Laila Goody as Grethe – the head of Vilma's research team at Oslo University Hospital.
- Ameli Isungset Agbota as Siv – Vilma's daughter.
- Joachim Rafaelsen as Per Olav – a police officer determined to track down Teo.
- Svein Harry Schöttker Hauge as the prison guard.
Series 1 (2017)Edit
|#||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||"Undergrunnen (The Underground)"||Erik Richter Strand||Erik Richter Strand, Thomas Torjussen||1 January 2017|
|2||"Styx"||Erik Richter Strand||Erik Richter Strand, Thomas Torjussen||1 January 2017|
|3||"Vinn Vinn (Win Win)"||Erik Richter Strand||Erik Richter Strand, Thomas Torjussen||8 January 2017|
|4||"Pro Bono Publico"||Erik Richter Strand||Erik Richter Strand, Bjørn Ekeberg||15 January 2017|
|5||"TEOTWAWKI"||Erik Richter Strand||Kathrine Valen Zeiner||22 January 2017|
|6||"Blindgjenger (UXO)"||Erik Richter Strand||Bjørn Ekeberg||29 January 2017|
|7||"Post Mortem"||Erik Richter Strand||Erik Richter Strand, Kathrine Valen Zeiner||5 February 2017|
|8||"SHTF"||Erik Richter Strand||Erik Richter Strand, Bjørn Ekeberg||12 February 2017|
- "Norwegian TV Goes Underground With Valkyrien". Nordic Drama. 27 October 2015. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- Armstrong, Stephen (13 August 2017). "APOCALYPSE NOW: Scandi noir just got even darker with this dystopian drama". The Sunday Times. London. p. 17.
- Tate, Gabriel (14 August 2017). "A new genre is born: the Scandi-medi-noir". The Times. London. p. 10.
- Bennion, Chris (12 August 2017). "Critic's choice: Valkyrien". The Times. London. p. 28.
- "Valkyrien: One heck of a ride". The Sunday Times. London. 13 August 2017. p. 44.
- "Valkyrien: Episode Guide". Channel 4. August 2017. Retrieved 17 August 2017.