Valentin Hristov (weightlifter, born 1994)
Valentin Hristov (birth name Bulgarian: Валентин Христов, born 30 March 1994) is a Bulgarian naturalized Azerbaijani weightlifter. He won a bronze medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics, which was Azerbaijan's first-ever Olympic medal in this discipline.
|Nationality||Bulgarian / Azerbaijani|
|Born||30 March 1994|
|Height||1.56 m (5 ft 1 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||62 kg (137 lb)|
|Coached by||Zlatan Vanev|
As a result of a positive drug test for Dehydromethyltestosterone (turinabol), he was disqualified from the 2013 European Championships and had received a two-year ban starting from the 9th of April 2013 till the 9th of April 2015. Four other athletes from the Azerbaijani team also tested positive and as a result the federation has been forced to pay a fine of $500,000.
At the 2015 World Weightlifting Championships he was caught using Nandrolone, he was the original bronze medalist but has since had his results disqualified. He is banned from the 14th of December 2015 to the 14th of December 2023, this being a longer suspension due to it being his second offense. He was among 6 other athletes from the Azerbaijani team that tested positive.
On 22 December 2018, it was announced that as a consequence of the International Olympic Committee’s re-analysis program in connection with the 2012 London Olympic Games Hristov had tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs. However realocation of medals not yet confirmed by IOC or IWF.
- "Chinas Gewichtheber geben bei WM-Auftakt Ton an". ftd.de. 2011-11-05. Archived from the original on 2012-08-04. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- Ilham Aliyev: 'Well-Done, Hristov..!'. Azerisport.com. 30 July 2012.
- Българинът Валентин Христов спечели медал на Олимпиадата, но за Азербайджан. sporta.bg. 29 July 2012.
- Азербайджан – България 1:0 с автогол, но така се налага. dnevnik.bg. 30 July 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-07. Retrieved 2013-10-02.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- IWF.net. "Sanctioned Athletes". Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- IWF.net. "Public Disclosure". Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "PUBLIC DISCLOSURE - IWF". IWF. 22 December 2018.