The Uteck Bowl is one of the two semifinal bowls of U Sports football, Canada's national competition for university teams that play Canadian football. It is held in the easternmost of the two semifinal venues. The Uteck Bowl champion moves on to face the Mitchell Bowl champion for the Vanier Cup. It was named for Larry Uteck, a former professional football player and university coach who died of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) in 2002.
|Awarded for||Semifinal championship in U Sports Football|
|Presented by||U Sports football|
|Current champions||Laval Rouge et Or|
|Most titles||Laval Rouge et Or (8)|
The Atlantic Bowl traditionally saw the Atlantic University Sport champions face a champion from another conference at Huskies Stadium in Halifax. However, in the interests of competitive fairness, the Atlantic Bowl was replaced by the Mitchell Bowl, its venue, like the Churchill Bowl that had paralleled it for so long, rotating among two of the conference champions.
Larry Uteck was a longtime football coach at Saint Mary's University and, at the time, the university's athletic director. It was decided that the Churchill Bowl would be retired, the Mitchell Bowl would take the place of the Churchill Bowl, and a new championship would be named in Uteck's memory. Thus, the Uteck Bowl formally replaced the Atlantic Bowl.
Uteck Bowl championsEdit
|Year||Champion||Score||Runner Up||Score||Location||Uteck Bowl MVP|
|2003-11-15||Saint Mary's||60||Simon Fraser||9||Huskies Stadium, Halifax||Les Mullings, Saint Mary's|
|2004-11-20||Laval||30||Laurier||11||PEPS Stadium, Quebec City||Jeronimo Huerta-Flores, Laval|
|2005-11-19||Laurier||31||Acadia||10||Huskies Stadium, Halifax||Ryan Pyear, Laurier|
|2006-11-18||Laval||57||Acadia||10||PEPS Stadium, Quebec City||Olivier Turcotte-Létourneau, Laval|
|2007-11-17||Saint Mary's||24||Laval||2||Huskies Stadium, Halifax||Tim St. Pierre, Saint Mary's|
|2008-11-16||Laval||59||Calgary||10||PEPS Stadium, Quebec City||Benoit Groulx, Laval|
|2009-11-21||Calgary||38||Saint Mary's||14||Huskies Stadium, Halifax||Matt Walter, Calgary|
|2010-11-20||Laval||13||Western||11||PEPS Stadium, Quebec City||Christopher Milo, Laval|
|2011-11-18||McMaster||45||Acadia||21||Moncton Stadium, Moncton||Kyle Quinlan, McMaster|
|2012-11-17||Laval||42||Acadia||7||PEPS Stadium, Quebec City||Maxime Boutin, Laval|
|2013-11-16||Laval||48||Mount Allison||21||MacAulay Field, Sackville, New Brunswick||Guillaume Rioux, Laval|
|2014-11-22||Montreal||29||Manitoba||26||CEPSUM Stadium, Montreal||Gabriel Cousineau, Montreal|
|2015-11-21||UBC||36||St. Francis Xavier||9||Oland Stadium, Antigonish, Nova Scotia||Brandon Deschamps, UBC|
|2016-11-19||Laval||36||Laurier||6||Telus Stadium, Quebec City||Félix Faubert-Lussier, Laval|
|2017-11-18||Western||81||Acadia||3||Raymond Field, Wolfville, Nova Scotia||Chris Merchant, Western|
|2018-11-17||Laval||63||St. Francis Xavier||0||Telus Stadium, Quebec City||Hugo Richard, Laval|
The teams and host sites of the Uteck Bowl and the Mitchell Bowl rotate on a six-year cycle, so that in each cycle each of the four conferences hosts and visits every other conference once.
The participants and sites for future Uteck Bowl games are listed below:
|Date||Visiting conference||Host conference|
To date, the Uteck Bowl games hosted by Quebec have been played at the champion's home field, while the first four games hosted by Atlantic University Sport (AUS) were played at Huskies Stadium in Halifax. The 2011 game was held in Moncton at the newly built Moncton Stadium. The 2013 and 2015 games were hosted by the Loney Bowl champion in those respective years. As of 2015, home teams have a record of nine wins and five losses with all five losses being recorded by AUS teams.
Team win/loss recordsEdit
|Laval Rouge et Or||9||8||1||.889|
|Saint Mary's Huskies||3||2||1||.667|
|Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks||3||1||2||.333|
|St. Francis Xavier||2||0||2||.000|
|Mount Allison Mounties||1||0||1||.000|
|Simon Fraser Clan||1||0||1||.000|
- Past U Sports Champions
- "59 Laval vs. Calgary 10". Canadian Interuniversity Sport. 2008-11-16. Archived from the original on 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2008-11-17.
- "CIS:Calgary vs Saint Mary's (Nov 21, 2009)". Canadian Interuniversity Sport. 2009-11-21. Retrieved 2009-11-22.
- CIS football Uteck Bowl: Carabins survive Manitoba comeback, advance to first Vanier Cup from Canadian Interuniversity Sports, 22 November 2014
- "Deschamps named game MVP". Prince George Citizen. 2015-11-22. Retrieved 2015-11-24.
- "Laval's Felix Faubert-Lussier on familiar turf at Vanier Cup". sportsnet.ca. The Canadian Press. 24 November 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Uteck Bowl: Mustangs advance to Vanier Cup with 81-3 win over host Axemen". Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- Black, Peter (17 November 2018). "Quarterback Hugo Richard leads Rouge et Or past X-Men 63-0 in Uteck Bowl". Battlefords News-Optimist. The Canadian Press. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- "U Sports Championship Calendar". U Sports. 2014. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- AUS announces 2013 football schedule