User:Kim Bruning/links for talk
A short summary of the wiki universe in 20 minutesEdit
Kim Bruning. (English Wikipedia)
I can try, can't I? ;-)
This workshop is an extension of ye olde Wikipedia:Lectures, so it'll be structured in roughly the same way. Which is to say: Very Wiki, or: Very Chaotic, depending on which crowd you belong to :-P
I'll walk through this very quickly so we can establish common ground.
Let's not get into this too deeply. Take home message: Making hard rules has unexpected results. (I don't have time to write a cellular automaton to demo simulated annealing though; and besides, playing with this stuff can take days anyway :-P )
Our Agile inheritenceEdit
The world's first wikiEdit
WikiWikiWeb: (no talk, no userspace)
you can link to it using [[WikiWikiWeb:]]
Things people don't expectEdit
- Other people unexpectedly edit 'your' pages!
Founding issues are not what you expectEdit
As written, voting is not permitted!Edit
I wonder how many people don't expect that ;-)
Subject Matter Experts get short shriftEdit
(note: COI and BLP conflict in awful ways. I can't fix a top-down policy like BLP, it's too involved. But that's a discussion for tomorrow)
- How did "old fashioned" wikis get anything done?
- which is faster, mainspace or userspace? (1. What is it? 2. Why is it notable? 3. at least one reference)
- which policies prevent new submissions?
- How do I decide something without voting?
- "who is in charge"? (governance)
- how can we fix the SME problem? (I'll have to ask you folks :-) )
how other stuff works/ workshop thingsEdit
Some of this is enwiki specific:
- WP:BRD Bold, Revert Discuss
- WP:POINT Don't disrupt wikipedia to make a point (2 elements!)
- WP:IAR Ignore all Rules.
- WP:CON Consensus
-  Wikimania submission: