Until I Die
"Until I Die" is a pop song performed by Swedish singer September. The song was written by Anoo Bhagavan, Jonas von der Burg and Niklas von der Burg for September's third album Dancing Shoes (2007). It was released as the album's second single on 7 November 2007 in Sweden.
|"Until I Die"|
|Single by September|
|from the album Dancing Shoes and Cry for You - The Album|
|Released||7 November 2007 (Sweden)|
January 2008 (Poland)
3 September 2008 (Netherlands)
27 July 2009 (U.K.)
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Songwriter(s)||Anoo Bhagavan, Jonas von der Burg, Niklas von der Burg|
|Producer(s)||Jonas von der Burg|
|September singles chronology|
Musically, the song is a eurodance song, which features dance-pop and electronic influences. According to Ron Slomowicz from About.com, he said that it was "a bit darker than you would expect from europop but in a way thats what makes it all the more special."
The song received positive reviews, praising her darker tone and felt it was catchy as well. Commercially, it remains September's least successful single in Sweden, debuting at five, and falling out of the top forty the next week. It lasted for five weeks only. The song had more success in Finland, where it peaked at number six and stayed in the charts for thirteen weeks.
The music video was released by Hard2Beat on their YouTube channel. The song features her dancing, and her walking through clockworks.
Hard2Beat Records announced that Until I Die was due to be released on 27 July 2009, as the third single from her debut UK album, Cry For You - The Album in a new remixed version done by Dave Ramone. However, it has been announced that the song's release has been cancelled due to lack of radio play. Rumours circulating the internet suggest that the song failing to make BBC Radio 1's playlist resulted in Hard2Beat scrapping the release. It was also stated that BBC Radio 1 refused to add it on their playlist, causing it to be cancelled.
However, it was released in the United Kingdom physically and digitally not long after.
"Until I Die" received generally favorable reviews from music critics. Ron Slomowicz from About.com selected the song as "Song of the Day". He said "its one of those records that is not instant. It will take a few listens to grasp the power of the lyrics and realize that this is one of the most intelligently written dance songs of the year." He then concluded saying "Though some might object to the Capella-styled production style, I think it just adds to its subtle brilliance."
"Until I Die" was officially released in Sweden on 7 November 2007. The song debuted on the Swedish Singles Chart on 13 November 2007 at number five It remained on the singles chart for five weeks, exiting on 11 December 2007, becoming September's least successful single released in Sweden so far.
In Finland, the track debuted at number sixteen on 8 January 2008. Five weeks after its debut, "Until I Die" reached its peak position at number six. The song remained on the Finnish Singles Chart for thirteen weeks, exiting on 1 April 2008 and becoming the first single of September's to remain on the Finnish Top 20 charts for more than one week.
Formats and track listingsEdit
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "Until I Die".
- Catchy Tunes (2007)
- Silver Angel Records (2008)
- Hard2Beat Records (2009)
- Swedish CD Single
(CATCHY #080; Released 7 November 2007)
- "Until I Die" (Radio edit) – 3:46
- "Until I Die" (Extended mix) – 6:09
- "Until I Die" (Short club mix) – 3:53
- "Until I Die" (Long club mix) – 6:47
- Dutch CD Single
- "Until I Die" (Radio Edit) 3:42
- "Until I Die" (Extended) 6:04
- "Until I Die" (Jakal Short Clubmix) 3:48
- "Until I Die" (Jakal Long Clubmix) 6:26
- UK Promo CD
- "Until I Die" (UK Radio Edit)
- "Until I Die" (The Real Booty Babes Edit)
- "Until I Die" (Jason Nevins Edit)
- "Until I Die" (Feed Me Remix)
- "Until I Die" (The Real Booty Babes Trance Remix)
- "Until I Die" (Jason Nevins Remix)
- "Until I Die" (Dave Ramone Club Mix)
|Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)||30|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||6|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||91|
|Poland (Polish Airplay Top 20)||4|
|Romania (Romanian Top 100)||29|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||25|
The following people contributed to "Until I Die":
- September – lead vocals, backing vocals
- Anoo Bhagavan, Jeanette von der Burg – backing vocals
- Jonas von der Burg – production, mixing, keyboards, programming
- Björn Axelsson, Niklas von der Burg – additional keyboards
- Björn Engelmann – Cutting Room Studios mastering
- Michel Petré – photography
- Andrea Kellerman – artwork
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: Change the chart to CZ – RADIO – TOP 100 and insert 200936 into search. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "September: Until I Die" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – September – Until I Die" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Nielsen Music Control". Archived from the original on 8 March 2008.
- Romanian Top 100. See Issue date 14/2008.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200927 into search. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Swedishcharts.com – September – Until I Die". Singles Top 100.