University of New England Students' Association
The University of New England Students' Association (UNESA) is the representative body for students at the University of New England, Australia. Its vision statement describes a desire to: “Represent without fear or favour the students of the University of New England. To encourage participation in a fair and just tertiary experience through shared higher thinking.”
|Institution||University of New England (Australia)|
|Location||UNESA, University of New England (Australia), Armidale NSW 2351|
|Members||c. 22,000 constituents|
As of July 2018, Fair Trading NSW has decided to shut down UNESA due to governance issues.
UNESA is involved with the following operations:
- The Legacy Scholarship Fund
- Nucleus - student news paper
- Professional Experience Name Badges
- Advocacy to federal student bodies
- Advocacy to federal and state parliaments
Under UNESA, TUNE! FM was initially established in April 1970. Then known as Radio UNE, it was the first student radio station in Australia. Further established under UNESA was the student newspaper, Nucleus (established April 1947). It also entirely funded a Dentist paid for by the 'dental levy' - the first dental service at a University in Australia. Also funded were a second hand bookshop and many affiliated clubs and societies. These services (except dentistry) still exist at the university, whether under UNESA or other bodies. Following UNESA's disolution in 2006, these services were largely delivered by ServicesUNE Ltd.
In 2015, management of Clubs and Societies, Tune!FM, Uni4me (Independent Student Advocates), and the 2nd Hand Bookstore were transferred from UNESA to UNE Life by order of the University of New England's CFO Prof. Peter Creamer.
Divisions and ReformationsEdit
Prior to 1990, the association was known as the UNE Students' Representative Council and, for a time, as the Armidale Students' Association. Following the introduction of voluntary student unionism, UNESA was dissolved at a special general meeting of the members in late March 2006. The functions and services previously provided by UNESA were taken over by Services UNE Ltd  and split into two different organisations (for undergraduates and post-graduates respectively): Undergrads@UNE and Postgrads@UNE. Undergrads@UNE was replaced in 2009 by 'UNEG Ltd' (UNE Guild). Postgrads@UNE remained separate under the same name until 2013, when both groups reunited with the re-establishment of the University of New England Students Association.. In 2018, UNESA was disbanded again following an adverse ruling by Fair Trading NSW.
UNE Liberal ClubEdit
In February 2005, University of New England Liberal Club (UNELC) (Liberal Party of Australia) members won control of the Students' Association. UNELC members also controlled the student union and the University Council undergraduate position.
In September 2005 UNESA made world news following the appointment of a Heterosexual Officer. This position and the position of Men's Officer were created at the same time as the position of Homosexual Officer was disbanded along with the campus "queer space".
In March 2006, under the control of UNELC, UNESA was dissolved.
Past Presidents of UNESAEdit
- 1940-1942 Dr. J. Belshaw
- 1942-1944 N.O'Grady
- 1944-1945 T.Swanson
- 1945-1946 F. Chong
- 1946-1951 E. Tapp
- 1951-1952 N. Fletcher/ C. Wickham
- 1952-1953 W. Furniss
- 1953-1954 E. Watson
- 1954-1955 G. Harvey/ E. Boeham
- 1955-1956 D. Lamberton
- 1956-1957 M. Kelley
- 1958-1974 - Records unclear
- 1975 Laurie Hagan
- 1976 Celia Smith
- 1978 Karen Harris
- 1979 Gavin Roberts
- 1980 Stephanie Williams (Lawson)
- 1981 Kirsty Arnold / David Cook
- 1982-1983 Eva Cawthorne
- 1984 Christopher Morley
- 1985 Andrew Quirk
- 1986-1987 Angela Jackson
- 1987 Jack Tynan
- 1987-1988 Peter Legg (interim)
- 1988 Paschal Leahy
- 1989 Paul Mc Dermott
- 1990 Steven Blaney
- 1991 Steven Blaney
- 1992 Steven Blaney
- 1993 Lawrence James (Louis Armand)
- 1994-1995 Adam Mara
- 1996-1997 Tanya Gadiel (née Barber)
- 1998 Siobhan Barry
- 1999 James Stevens
- 2000-2001 - Tom Fisher
- 2001-2002 - Kahn Quinlan
- 2003 - Kryssy Loker
- 2004 - Phil Schubert
- 2005 - Samantha Aber
- 2006 - Tim Fisher
- 2006 - Amos Young
- 2006-2007 - Les Wells (Interim)
- 2007 - Andrew Zhen
- 2007-2008 - Benjamin Graham
- 2009-2010 - Emily Hill
- 2010-2012 - Sonia-Lee Donohue
- 2013-2015 - David Mailler
- 2015-2016 - Judd Newton
- 2016-2017 - Dale Finch
- 2017-2018 - Koady Williams
- "UNESA vision statement".
- "UNESA list of services".
- "The New and Improved UNESA: Student Representation at UNE". Nuecleus.
- "Armidale's University of New England Student Association will be disbanded by NSW Fair Trading". Northern Daily Leader.
- "UNE student group backs Govt change". The Northern Daily Leader. The Northern Daily Leader.
- "Visions of the City: Utopianism, Power and Politics in Twentieth-Century Urbanism".