Universiti Brunei Darussalam(Redirected from University of Brunei Darussalam)
Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD; translation University of Brunei Darussalam; Jawi: يونيبرسيتي بروني دارالسلام) is the first university in Brunei. It was established in 1985 and has since become the largest university in the country in terms of student enrollment and curriculum offered.
Universiti Brunei Darussalam (Malay)
|Latin: Universitas Bruneiensis|
|يونيبرسيتي بروني دارالسلام|
Ke Arah Kesempurnaan Insan
Motto in English
|Towards Human Perfection|
|Founder||Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah|
|ASAIHL, AUN, EM, FUIW, iCUBE and UMAP|
|Chancellor||Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah|
|Vice-Chancellor||Datin Dr. Anita Binurul Zahrina Pehin Dato Abdul Aziz|
|Pro-Chancellor||Crown Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah|
|Colors||Blue Green Red Yellow|
UBD was established in 1985, opening its doors to the first intake of 176 students. Since then, UBD has seen an increase in the number of graduates, the introduction of new academic programmes, the enhancement of infrastructure and the development of graduate studies.
The university moved to its current location, Tungku Link, in 1995. There are nine academic faculties and seven research institutes covering the fields of Science, Health Sciences, Asian Studies, Policy Studies, Education, Business, Engineering, Biodiversity, Advanced Materials & Energy Sciences, Advanced Research, Applied Data Analytics, Islamic Studies, Leadership, Innovation & Advancement.
UBD opened its doors to international students from its inception. Over the years, there has been an increase in diversity, with many students coming from East Asia (China and Japan), Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Today, UBD offers a range of programmes to enhance international relations, such as the Brunei-US Enrichment Programme for ASEAN and the Discovery Year programme, which encourages students to go abroad during the third year of their undergraduate programme.
Admissions to UBD is extremely competitive. Brunei had only 4 large universities that offer undergraduate and graduate studies, but 2 of them are religious universities, local applicants could only apply through online service known as HECAS (Higher Education Centralised Admission System) where the representatives of Ministry of Education and local universities to pick only qualified students that meet the requirements of points of specific exams such as General Cambridge Education A-Level Examinations.
Faculties and institutesEdit
- Academy of Brunei Studies (APB)]
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS)]
- UBD School of Business and Economics (UBDSBE)]
- Faculty of Science (FOS)]
- Faculty of Integrated Technologies (FIT)]
- Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Institute of Education (SHBIE)]
- PAPRSB Institute of Health Sciences (PAPRSB IHS)]
- Institute of Asian Studies (IAS)]
- Institute for Leadership, Innovation and Advancement (ILIA)]
- Institute of Policy Studies (IPS)]
- SOAS Centre for Islamic Studies (SOASCIS)]
- e-Government Innovation Centre (eGInC)]
- UBD|IBM Centre]
- Institute for Biodiversity and Environmental Research (IBER)]
- Centre for Advanced Material and Energy Sciences (CAMES)]
- Centre for Advance Research (CARe)]
- Language Centre (LC)]
- Centre for Lifelong Learning (C3L)]
UBD currently offers five undergraduate degree programmes:
- Bachelor of Business and Economic
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Health Science
- Bachelor of Arts and Social Science
- Bachelor of Engineering
UBD offers graduate degrees (Masters by coursework or by research and PhD) in the following disciplines:
- Islamic Civilisation and Contemporary Issues
- Islamic Banking and Finance
- Energy Studies
- Computing and New Media
- Crop Science
- Primary Health Care
- Brunei Studies
- Malay Language and Linguistics
- Art, Professional Communication and Media
- Asian Studies
The MRCGP (International) examinations were first established in the Institute of Medicine in 2005 after Brunei Darussalam was awarded host body status by the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP), UK. Membership of the RCGP has long been established and recognized as the standard assessment for family doctors. Brunei Darussalam is the first host examining body in the region and has successfully conducted the exams since 2005.
Construction on the University Mosque (Masjid Universiti) began in 1992 on a site of 2 hectares of land, and was completed in 1994, with a total cost of BND $7,600,000. The mosque was officially opened in 1995 by His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah. It has a capacity of 1800. The mosque is mainly used for religious activities carried out by the university and it also serves daily prayers for the Muslims students and the surrounding locals.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Vice-Chancellors||Term in Office|
|1 Pehin Orang Kaya Laila Wijaya Dato Seri Setia Haji Abdul Aziz bin Begawan Pehin Udana Khatib Dato Seri Paduka Haji Umar||1985-1986|
|2 Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Lela Dato Seri Setia Haji Abdul Rahman bin Dato Setia Haji Mohamed Taib||1986-1988|
|3 Pehin Orang Kaya Laila Wijaya Dato Seri Setia Haji Abdul Aziz bin Begawan Pehin Udana Khatib Dato Seri Paduka Haji Umar||1989-1990|
|4 Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Kerna Dato Seri Setia Haji Abu Bakar bin Haji Apong||1991-1998|
|5 Dato Paduka Seri Setia Professor Dr. Haji Mahmud Saedon bin Othman||1999-2002|
|6 Dato Paduka Dr. Haji Ismail bin Haji Duraman||2003-2008|
|7 Dato Seri Setia Dr. Haji Zulkarnain bin Haji Hanafi||2008-2015|
|8 Datin Dr. Hajah Anita Binurul Zahrina binti Pehin Orang Kaya Laila Wijaya Dato Seri Setia Haji Abdul Aziz||2015-present|
- Universiti Malaya
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Universiti Malaysia Sabah
- Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Universiti Utara Malaysia
- Universiti Putra Malaysia
- University College of Technology Sarawak
- Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman
- Universiti Malaysia Kelantan
- Universitas Indonesia
- BINUS University
- Universitas Pekalongan
- Universitas Airlangga
- Institut Teknologi Bandung
- Universitas Gajah Mada
- Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember
- "QS Asia University Rankings Results 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "QS World University Rankings Results 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "International Students of Universiti Brunei Darussalam".
- "Brunei-US enrichment programme for ASEAN".
- "Discovery Year programme". Archived from the original on 2015-06-29.
- Ministry of Religious Affairs of Brunei Darussalam. "Universiti Brunei Darussalam's Mosque". Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "QS World University Rankings 2019". 7 June 2018.
- "QS University Rankings: Asia 2019". 30 November 2018.
- "UBD People". 2016.
- "bruneiresources". www.bruneiresources.com.
- "Pelantikan Menteri-Menteri Kabinet dan Timbalan-Timbalan Menteri" (PDF). Pelita Brunei. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- Nordin, Ismail and Mail, Asbol (2005). Dato Paduka Seri Setia Professor Dr. Haji Awang Mahmud Saedon bin Awang Othman Dalam Kenangan: Essays in Memory of Vice-Chancellor,UBD,1999-2002. Bandar Seri Begawan: Universiti Brunei Darussalam. p. 6. ISBN 99917-1-170-8.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Princess Sarah gets First Class Honours". Archived from the original on 2011-04-30. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Brunei Darussalam.|