Union of Cypriots
The Union of Cypriots (Turkish: Kıbrıslılar Birliği; Greek: Ένωσις Κυπρίων) is a Cypriot nationalist organization that mainly campaigns for ending the Turkish occupation of Cyprus and works against the oppressions happening on the Turkish Cypriots by Turkey.
|Motto||Cyprus for Cypriots!|
|Affiliations||International League of Peoples' Struggle|
History and overviewEdit
The Union of Cypriots was previously known as the World Union of Turkish-speaking Cypriots, and its origins root back to a youth organisation called LINOBAMBAKI, one of the formations that led the 2011 Turkish Cypriot protests. It is active in Cyprus as well as in the United Kingdom, where, today, Turkish Cypriot population is bigger than in Cyprus. Unlike most of other Turkish Cypriot political movements, it supports a unitary solution instead of a federal one, concerning the reunification of Cyprus. With the idea of Cyprus belonging to all Cypriots, Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots, the organisation supports turning back to 1960 constitution and reinforcing it more in the line of "one nation, one flag, one homeland and one state" view.
The organization supported Turkish Cypriots who were targeted in the occupied areas of Cyprus, in events such as the prosecution of some community members for hanging the flag of the Republic of Cyprus in 2013, the attacks against the Afrika newspaper by Turkish settlers in 2018, or the court cases that were filed against Turkish Cypriot journalists by Turkey in 2019.
In 2019, the Union of Cypriots announced to public its interest in participating in the European Parliament elections independently, but later it was represented by its president, Oz Karahan in the list of Jasmine Movement.
Today, the organization has a variety of committees for different affairs, as well as an educational initiative called "Fazıl Önder Academy" and an organization related to intangible cultural heritage activities, the "Cypriot Folk Music Society". The Union of Cypriots is a member of the International League of Peoples' Struggle.
- "Union of Cypriots". Citizens for Europe. Archived from the original on 7 October 2019. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- Aldrich, Alan (17 August 2018). "Cypriotism in the Twenty-First Century". Bella Caledonia. Scotland. Archived from the original on 21 August 2018. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Kerekes, Klaudia (30 October 2019). "Prospects for Cypriot Unity". Policy Network. Archived from the original on 30 October 2019. Retrieved 31 October 2019.
- "Türkçe Konuşan Kıbrıslılar Birliği, Kıbrıslılar Birliği adını aldı" [Union of Turkish-speaking Cypriots renamed Union of Cypriots]. Voice of the Island (in Turkish). Cyprus. 8 November 2018. Archived from the original on 9 November 2018. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- Economidou, Marina (13 March 2019). "Γιασεμί: Είμαστε η φωνή κατά του φασισμού της Τουρκίας" [Jasmine: We are the voice against Turkey's fascism]. Kathimerini (in Greek). Greece. Archived from the original on 23 March 2019. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- Morgan, Tabitha (7 September 2012). "Turkish Cypriots leave island as 'settlers' move in". The Telegraph. London. Archived from the original on 26 October 2010. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Kent, Holly (2 October 2018). "Cyprus: Options for a Solution". International Policy Digest. South Korea. ISSN 2332-9416. Archived from the original on 2 October 2018. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Schneider, Elke. "In Europe, politicians and the public do not have any idea of what is going on in Cyprus..."". FOMOSO. Archived from the original on 21 June 2019. Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- Kagui, Olena (3 April 2015). "Patriots Punished in Northern Cyprus: A Modern Day Political Occupation". Huffington Post. United States. Archived from the original on 9 June 2019. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- "Kıbrıs'tan katılan tek örgüt WUTC olacak" [WUTC will be the only participant organisation from Cyprus]. Voice of the Island (in Turkish). Cyprus. 9 April 2018. Archived from the original on 11 July 2018. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "Η Έν.Κυπρίων στηρίζει εφημερίδα Αφρίκα - Κίνδυνος φυλάκισης Λεβέντ" [The Union of Cypriots supports Afrika newspaper - Danger of Levent's imprisonment]. SigmaLive (in Greek). Cyprus. 16 May 2019. Archived from the original on 23 May 2019. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "Union of Cypriots May Take Part in European Parliament Elections". Union of Cypriots. Cyprus. 13 December 2018. Archived from the original on 13 August 2019. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Ευρωεκλογές: Οι 5 Τ/κ υποψήφιοι που κατεβαίνουν με τον Σενέρ Λεβέντ" [European Parliament elections: 5 Turkish Cypriot candidates are with Şener Levent]. Politis (Cyprus) (in Greek). Cyprus. 26 February 2019. Archived from the original on 27 February 2019. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "REPORTĀŽA no Kipras: 15 gadus pēc referenduma apvienošanās ideja joprojām tāla no īstenošanas". Public Broadcasting of Latvia (in Latvian). Latvia. 24 April 2019. Archived from the original on 25 April 2019. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- H, A. (21 October 2018). "Kurds, Turkish Cypriots … common fate, struggle". ANHA. Syria. Hawar News Agency. Archived from the original on 6 November 2018. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Kıbrıslılar Birliği Halkların Uluslararası Mücadele Birliği'ne tam üye oldu" [Union of Cypriots became full member of the International League of Peoples' Struggle] (PDF). Afrika (in Turkish). Cyprus. 11 May 2019. p. 3. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 May 2019. Retrieved 28 May 2019.