UTSA Roadrunners men's basketball
The UTSA Roadrunners men's basketball team represents the University of Texas at San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas, US. Originally competing as an NCAA independent in 1981–82, the Roadrunners moved to the Atlantic Sun Conference in 1986–87, then moved to the Southland Conference in 1991–92, then moved to the Western Athletic Conference in 2012-2013, then moved to Conference USA in 2013–2014 where they are currently a member. UTSA plays its home games at the on-campus Convocation Center, and is coached by former NBA player Steve Henson.
|University||University of Texas at San Antonio|
|All-time record||434–389 (.527)|
|Head coach||Steve Henson (3rd season)|
|Location||San Antonio, Texas|
|Arena||Convocation Center |
|Colors||Navy Blue, White, and Orange|
|NCAA Tournament Appearances|
|1988, 1999, 2004, 2011|
|Conference Tournament Champions|
|1988, 1999, 2004, 2011|
|Conference Regular Season Champions|
|1991, 1992, 2004|
UTSA has won four conference tournaments and three conference regular season championships. The team has made a total of four NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship appearances in its history. In the 2011 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship, the Roadrunners defeated SWAC Champion Alabama State, 70–61 in the opening round before falling in the second round to Ohio State. The victory over Alabama State marked the first time in school history that a Roadrunner team won an NCAA tournament game in any sport. As a relatively young Division I program, the team has made no other appearances in post-season tournaments.
NCAA Tournament resultsEdit
The Roadrunners have appeared in four NCAA Tournaments. Their combined record is 1–4.
|1988||First Round||Illinois||L 72–81|
|1999||First Round||Connecticut||L 66–91|
|2004||First Round||Stanford||L 45–71|
The Roadrunners have appeared in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT) on time. Their record is 1–1.
Sam Houston State
- UTSA Artsheet (PDF). September 20, 2017. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- Heiberger, Scott (1985-12-02). "Texas-San Antonio is looking to future". Anchorage Daily News. Retrieved 2010-03-15.
- "UTSA to join Southland Conf". The Victoria Advocate. 1990-06-05. Retrieved 2010-03-15.
- "WAC to Add Denver, UTSA and Texas State". Western Athletic Conference. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- McMurphy, Brett (28 April 2012). "C-USA Adding UTSA in 2013; North Texas, FIU, Louisiana Tech Also Likely". CBSSports.com. Archived from the original on 2012-04-30. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "2009 UTSA Men's Basketball Media Guide". UTSA Roadrunners. Archived from the original on 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2010-03-15.