United States Basketball Writers Association
The United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) was founded in 1956 by National Collegiate Athletic Association director Walter Byers to serve the interests of journalists who cover college basketball.
The USBWA annually awards college scholarships to students pursuing careers in sports journalism and to children of USBWA members.
The USBWA annually selects a player of the year and All-America teams for both men and women in college basketball. The USBWA men's player of the year award, called the Oscar Robertson Trophy, was first established in 1959 and is considered to be the nation's oldest such award in college basketball.
The USBWA also chooses a USBWA National Freshman of the Year in men's and women's basketball.
In addition, the USBWA presents a number of other awards:
- Two Most Courageous Awards—one for men's basketball, and the other for women's basketball. Each is presented to a player, coach, official, or other individual connected with college basketball who demonstrates extraordinary courage in life. The women's version is officially known as the Pat Summitt Most Courageous Award, named after the legendary Tennessee coach.
- The Katha Quinn award, in honor of the former Sports Information Director at St. John's University, to individuals who have excelled servicing the media or provide an inspiration to sports writers.
USBWA also divides the country into nine districts, naming for each a Player of the Year, Coach of the Year, and an All-District Team.
|I||Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut|
|II||New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania, West Virginia|
|III||Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland|
|IV||Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida|
|V||Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin|
|VI||Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota|
|VII||Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana|
|VIII||Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Montana|
|IX||California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Arizona, Alaska|
Hall of fameEdit
- "ABOUT THE USBWA". USBWA. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "USBWA NAMES FINALISTS FOR 2010 OSCAR ROBERTSON TROPHY". USBWA. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "USBWA NAMES 2012-13 MEN'S ALL-DISTRICT TEAMS". sportswriters.net (Press release). U.S. Basketball Writers Association. March 12, 2013. Archived from the original on March 15, 2013.
- Inductees are listed in the following order: 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 (50th member), 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, Charter Inductees. USBWA Hall of Fame. U.S. Basketball Writers Association. Retrieved 2011-09-23.