The UN City (Danish: FN Byen) is located in Copenhagen, and consists of two campuses that combined house 11 United Nations agencies. The plans for a UN City in Copenhagen were born in 2002, and the location at Marmormolen was selected in 2005. Campus 1 on Marmormolen currently accommodates staff members from all 11 agencies. Campus 2, located by the container port, constitutes UNICEF’s new state of the art high bay warehouse and is currently considered to be the world's largest non-food humanitarian warehouse. UN City currently accommodates 1,200 employees from 104 different countries, but has room for an estimated 1,700 employees, making it the sixth largest UN campus measured by the number of staff. The building was designed by Danish architecture firm 3XN, totals 45,000 m2 office space and 7,000 m2 basement and was inaugurated on the 4th of July 2013 by Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Her Majesty Margrethe II of Denmark. The building is built with a large focus on sustainability and environmental friendliness, and the calculated energy consumption for the building is less than 50 kWh/m2/year. The building has been awarded with the European Commission's Green Building Award for New Buildings and LEED's Platinum-certificate. The Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs rent UN City for the UN through official development assistance funds.
UN City, seen from south
|Address||Marmormolen 51, 2100|
|Town or city||Copenhagen|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft) a.s.l.|
|Current tenants||United Nations|
|Cost||DKK 1,811,570,795.00 (May 2013)|
|Design and construction|
|UN City in Copenhagen|
The following UN agencies are represented in UN City:
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
- United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN WOMEN)
- World Food Program (WFP)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
The UN Live museum is also proposed to be headquartered on the site.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to UN City.|
- ois.dk (Danish Property Index), search Kommune=Københavns Kommune, Vejnavn=Marmorvej, Nr=51 - select Økonomi->Tidligere vurderinger og salgspriser->Historiske salgspriser->Solgt - 2013
- Tinglysning.dk (Danish Court public property registration), search Marmorvej 51, 2100
- United Nations. "Forenede Nationer i Danmark" (in Danish). Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- Information. "Information" (in Danish). Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- 3xn. "FN Byen" (in Danish). Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- By & Havn. "Sådan blev FN BYEN til" (in Danish). Retrieved 2014-01-25.