UFC on Fox: Holm vs. Shevchenko
UFC on Fox: Holm vs. Shevchenko (also known as UFC on Fox 20) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship held on July 23, 2016, at United Center in Chicago, Illinois.
|UFC on Fox: Holm vs. Shevchenko|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||July 23, 2016|
A bout between former UFC Light Heavyweight Championship challengers Anthony Johnson and Glover Teixeira was expected to serve as the co-main event. However, Johnson pulled out on June 18 to tend to personal issues. In turn, promotion officials elected to pull Teixeira from the card and the pairing was left intact and rescheduled to take place four weeks later at UFC 202.
Ryan LaFlare was expected to face Alexander Yakovlev at the event. However, LaFlare was removed from the fight in early June after sustaining an undisclosed injury and was replaced by The Ultimate Fighter: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians winner Kamaru Usman.
George Sullivan was expected to face Héctor Urbina, but was pulled from the event due to a "potential compliance issue" with the UFC's anti-doping policy stemming from "voluntarily disclosed information" he provided to USADA. Urbina still weighed in as a potential backup opponent should there be a need for him to compete in another bout. Since that did not materialize, he will be re-booked for another card in the near future.
|Main Card (Fox)|
|Women's Bantamweight||Valentina Shevchenko||def.||Holly Holm||Decision (unanimous) (49–46, 49–46, 49–46)||5||5:00|
|Lightweight||Edson Barboza||def.||Gilbert Melendez||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Francis Ngannou||def.||Bojan Mihajlović||TKO (punches)||1||1:34|
|Women's Strawweight||Felice Herrig||def.||Kailin Curran||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||1:59|
|Preliminary Card (Fox)|
|Bantamweight||Eddie Wineland||def.||Frankie Saenz||TKO (punches)||3||1:54|
|Featherweight||Darren Elkins||def.||Godofredo Pepey||Decision (unanimous) (29–27, 29–27, 30–26)||3||5:00||[a]|
|Welterweight||Kamaru Usman||def.||Alexander Yakovlev||Decision (unanimous) (30–25, 30–25, 30–25)||3||5:00||[b]|
|Lightweight||Michel Prazeres||def.||J.C. Cottrell||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Welterweight||Alex Oliveira||def.||James Moontasri||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–25)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Jason Knight||def.||Jim Alers||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Luis Henrique||def.||Dmitry Smolyakov||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||3:58|
- Pepey was deducted 1 point in round 2 due to an illegal knee.
- Yakovlev was deducted 1 point in round 1 due to grabbing the cage.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Jason Knight vs. Jim Alers
- Performance of the Night: Felice Herrig and Eddie Wineland
- Staff (2016-07-23). "UFC on FOX 20 attendance: Event draws 10,287 for $1 million live gate". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-23.
- Staff (2016-03-30). "UFC headed back to Chicago in July for UFC on FOX 20". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2016-05-08). "Sioux Falls and Chicago headliners announced". ufc.com. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- Steven Marrocco and John Morgan (2016-06-18). "Anthony Johnson out of UFC on FOX 20 co-headliner with Glover Teixeira". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-06-23). "Glover Teixeira out of UFC on FOX 20". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2016-06-24). "Johnson-Teixeira off Chicago card". ufc.com. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- Thomas Myers (2016-06-27). "UFC 202 fight card gets Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-06-27.
- Chris Sosa (2016-06-03). "'Nigerian Nightmare' lands spot for UFC event at United Center". redeyechicago.com. Retrieved 2016-06-07.
- Staff (2016-07-12). "Newcomer J.C. Cottrell in for Martin vs. Michel Prazeres at UFC on FOX 20 in Chicago". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-12.
- Staff (2016-07-21). "George Sullivan pulled from UFC on FOX 20 for 'potential compliance issue' with anti-doping policy". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-21.
- "UFC on Fox: Holm vs. Shevchenko". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-07-23). "UFC on Fox 20 bonuses: Herrig, Wineland, Knight, Alers receive $50K". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-07-23.