UFC Fight Night: Costa vs. Vettori (also known as UFC Fight Night 196, UFC Vegas 41 and UFC on ESPN+ 54) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on October 23, 2021 at the UFC Apex facility in Enterprise, Nevada, part of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area, United States.
|UFC Fight Night: Costa vs. Vettori|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||October 23, 2021|
|City||Enterprise, Nevada, United States|
A middleweight bout between former UFC Middleweight Championship title challengers Paulo Costa and Marvin Vettori headlined the event. In the days leading up to the event, the bout was shifted to a catchweight of 195 lbs and then ultimately to light heavyweight due to weight cut issues with Costa. As a result, he forfeited 20% of his fight purse to Vettori.
Aaron Phillips and Kris Moutinho was scheduled for the bantamweight bout at the event. However in mid-September, Moutinho was removed from the bout for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by Jonathan Martinez. In turn, Philips withdrew from the bout due to illness. On three days notice, promotional newcomer Zviad Lazishvili stepped in as a replacement.
A welterweight bout between Dwight Grant and Gabriel Green was briefly linked to the event. However, Green was removed from the contest in late September due to undisclosed reasons and replaced by Francisco Trinaldo.
A middleweight bout between Jamie Pickett and Laureano Staropoli was originally expected to take place at UFC Fight Night: Dern vs. Rodriguez, but it was moved to this event after one of Pickett's coaches tested positive for COVID-19.
A lightweight rematch between Alan Patrick and Mason Jones was expected to take place at the event. The pairing previously met at UFC Fight Night: Rozenstruik vs. Sakai, which ended in a no contest when an accidental eye poke rendered Patrick unable to continue. However in late October, Patrick withdrew from bout and he was replaced by newcomer David Onama.
|Main card (ESPN+)|
|Light Heavyweight||Marvin Vettori||def.||Paulo Costa||Decision (unanimous) (48–46, 48–46, 48–46)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Lightweight||Grant Dawson||vs.||Ricky Glenn||Draw (majority) (29–28, 28–28, 28–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Bantamweight||Jessica-Rose Clark||def.||Joselyne Edwards||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Alex Caceres||def.||Seung Woo Choi||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||3:31||[b]|
|Welterweight||Francisco Trinaldo||def.||Dwight Grant||Decision (split) (29–27, 27–29, 29–27)||3||5:00||[c]|
|Light Heavyweight||Nicolae Negumereanu||def.||Ike Villanueva||TKO (punches)||1||1:18|
|Preliminary card (ESPN+)|
|Middleweight||Gregory Rodrigues||def.||Jun Yong Park||KO (punches)||2||3:13|
|Lightweight||Mason Jones||def.||David Onama||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Tabatha Ricci||def.||Maria de Oliveira Neta||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Jamie Pickett||def.||Laureano Staropoli||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Jai Herbert||def.||Khama Worthy||TKO (punches)||1||2:47|
|Flyweight||Jeff Molina||def.||Daniel Lacerda||TKO (elbows and punches)||2||0:46|
|Women's Strawweight||Randa Markos||def.||Lívia Renata Souza||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Jonathan Martinez||def.||Zviad Lazishvili||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- Costa was deducted 1 point in Round 2 due to an eye poke.
- Choi was deducted 1 point in Round 1 for an illegal knee.
- Trinaldo was deducted 1 point in Round 3 for an eye poke.
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Gregory Rodrigues vs. Park Jun-yong
- Performance of the Night: Marvin Vettori and Alex Caceres
- Mike Bohn (2021-10-24). "UFC Fight Night 196 post-event facts: Marvin Vettori, Paulo Costa produce record output". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-10-26.
- Nolan King (2021-09-23). "NAC approves six UFC events stretching from October through November". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-09-24.
- Steven Marrocco (2021-08-02). "Paulo Costa vs. Marvin Vettori headlines Oct. 23 UFC event". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-08-03.
- Nolan King (2021-10-21). "Paulo Costa fined 20 percent of purse after UFC Fight Night 196 bout switched to catchweight". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-10-21.
- Steven Marrocco and Damon Martin (2021-10-21). "Paulo Costa vs. Marvin Vettori now headlines UFC Vegas 41 as light heavyweight fight". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-10-21.
- Nolan King (2021-08-24). "Kris Moutinho books first UFC fight after Sean O'Malley loss, faces Aaron Phillips this October". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-08-24.
- Marcel Dorff (2021-09-18). "Jonathan Martinez replaces Kris Moutinho against Aaron Phillips at UFC event on October 23". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2021-09-18. (in Dutch)
- Damon Martin (2021-10-15). "Aaron Phillips out of UFC Vegas 41 due to illness, Jonathan Martinez awaits word on a replacement". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-10-15.
- Alexander K. Lee (2021-10-20). "Zviad Lazishvili steps in on 3 days' notice to fight Jonathan Martinez at UFC Vegas 41". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-10-21.
- Marcel Dorff (2021-09-11). "Dwight Grant vs. Gabe Green added to UFC event on October 23". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2021-09-11. (in Dutch)
- Marcel Dorff (2021-09-23). "Francisco Trinaldo replaces Gabe Green for Dwight Grant on October 23". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2021-09-23. (in Dutch)
- Danny Segura (2021-10-05). "Jamie Pickett out of UFC Fight Night 194, bout vs. Laureano Staropoli rescheduled for Oct. 23". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-10-06.
- Raphael Marinho (2021-08-16). "Após "No Contest", UFC marca revanche entre Alan Nuguette e Mason Jones". ge.globo.com. Retrieved 2021-08-16. (in Portuguese)
- Mike Bohn (2021-06-05). "UFC Fight Night 189 video: Mason Jones' eye poke leads to no contest with Alan Patrick". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-08-16.
- Marcel Dorff (2021-10-19). "BREAKING: David Onama puts Uganda on the map, signs with the UFC and faces Mason Jones on Saturday". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2021-10-20. (in Dutch)
- "UFC Fight Night: Costa vs. Vettori". Ultimate Fighting Championship. 8 September 2021. Retrieved 2021-09-09.
- Staff (2021-10-24). "UFC Fight Night 196 bonuses: Marvin Vettori gets extra $50,000 – but none for Paulo Costa". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2021-10-24.