|Born||1957 (age 59–60)
|Occupation||Film critic, writer|
He is a member of the Boston Society of Film Critics and the National Society of Film Critics. Burr has written articles for The New York Times, Spin, The Boston Phoenix, and other publications. Some of the movies to which Burr has assigned his top ratings are Broken Flowers, Sideways and Million Dollar Baby. He began his career at Home Box Office in the 1980s, working as a Film Evaluator or in-house critic. From 1992 until 2002 he worked for Entertainment Weekly as the magazine's chief video critic. (Burr still contributes to the magazine occasionally.) Burr also makes appearances on NECN, MSNBC, and various local and national radio programs to discuss the latest movies.
Burr lives with his family in Newton, Massachusetts.
- The Hundred Greatest Stars of All Time. New York: Entertainment Weekly Books, 1999. ISBN 9781883013684
- The Best Old Movies for Families: A Guide to Watching Together. New York: Anchor Books, 2007. ISBN 9781400096862
- Gods Like Us: On Movie Stardom and Modern Fame. New York: Pantheon Books, 2012. ISBN 9780307377661
- The 50 Movie Starter Kit: What You Need to Know if You Want to Know What You're Talking About. New York: Anchor Books (eBook), 2012. ISBN 9780345804945
Bio and ReviewsEdit
- Bio and Reviews at The Boston Globe
- Bio and Reviews at Entertainment Weekly
- The Best Old Movies for Families page at Random House
- Boston Globe "Movie Nation" blog