Sturtevant Tice Burr
August 17, 1957 (age 60)
|Alma mater||New York University|
From 1990 to 2002, he was a senior writer at Entertainment Weekly, where he primarily covered movies, video, music, and digital media. An early interest in the Internet led to his hand-coding the first EW web page and introducing and editing the magazine's New Media section.
Burr has been the film critic for The Boston Globe since 2002. Since January 2015, he has also written a weekly Sunday column on a wide variety of pop culture subjects. His columns on breaking cultural issues frequently appear on the paper's front page. In 2017, Burr was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Criticism.
Burr is a member of the Boston Society of Film Critics and the National Society of Film Critics. He has written articles for The New York Times, Spin, and The Boston Phoenix, among many other publications. He has appeared on NECN, MSNBC, WGBH's "Greater Boston," NPR's "Here and Now," Bloomberg Radio, and other local and national radio programs to discuss movies and cultural matters.
Burr has written or contributed to five books. The Hundred Greatest Stars of All Time (1998) and The Hundred Greatest Movies of All Time (1999) are Entertainment Weekly "bookazines," written largely by Burr (with additional material by other staff writers) during his tenure at the magazine.
In 2007, Burr wrote The Best Old Movies for Families: A Guide to Watching Together, an essay-based reference book for parents and grandparents seeking to introduce young children to classic films. It received uniformly positive reviews from critics and readers. In 2012, Burr wrote Gods Like Us: On Movie Stardom and Modern Fame, a critical study of celebrity over a hundred years of film and cultural history. It was widely and positively reviewed, with The New York Times saying, "not many film historians can see the whole equation as Ty Burr does in Gods Like Us," and the Buffalo News calling it "A brilliant and even profound history of stardom."
In 2012, Burr published the e-Book The 50 Movie Starter Kit: What You Need to Know if You Want to Know What You're Talking About, a guide for beginning movie lovers.
- Rickey, Carrie (2012-09-23). "'Gods Like Us: On Movie Stardom and Modern Fame' by Ty Burr". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "'Gods Like Us' a definitive take on movie stardom". The Buffalo News. 2012-09-23. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- The Hundred Greatest Stars of All Time. New York: Entertainment Weekly Books, 1999. ISBN 9781883013684
- The Best Old Movies for Families: A Guide to Watching Together. New York: Anchor Books, 2007. ISBN 9781400096862
- Gods Like Us: On Movie Stardom and Modern Fame. New York: Pantheon Books, 2012. ISBN 9780307377661
- The 50 Movie Starter Kit: What You Need to Know if You Want to Know What You're Talking About. New York: Anchor Books (eBook), 2012. ISBN 9780345804945