Twin Rivers Unified School District
Twin Rivers Unified School District was created as a result of the November 2007 approval of Measure B, a proposal to merge the four North Sacramento (California) area school districts: the North Sacramento School District, the Del Paso Heights School District, the Rio Linda Union School District, and the Grant Joint Union High School District. Originally referred to as New North Area Unified School District after Measure B passed, the name Twin Rivers was selected from among 300 submitted by community members during a three-week naming contest. Twin Rivers USD has also hosted a series of community forums to obtain feedback and input from parents, classified staff, teachers, and community members. The district office is located at 5115 Dudley Boulevard, McClellan, California.
|Twin Rivers Unified School District|
|5115 Dudley Boulevard|
|Type||Public school district|
|Grades||K–12 and adult education|
- Dr. Steve Martinez, Superintendent
- VACANT, Deputy Superintendent of Administrative Services
- Dr. Lori Grace, Associate Superintendent of Educational Services
- Gina Carreón, Associate Superintendent of Human Resources
- Dr. Kristin Coates, Associate Superintendent of School Leadership
- David Lugo, Chief of Police
On December 4, 2007, the trustees selected Frank Porter to serve as Twin Rivers USD Interim Superintendent. Porter, who had been the superintendent of the Rio Linda Union School District was selected for the job over Ramona Bishop, the superintendent of the Del Paso Heights Elementary School District. The new district assumed operational responsibility for the 37,000 students in the four merging districts on July 1, 2008.
Frank Porter has announced his retirement as of June 30, 2012 after four and a half years as the district's superintendent. Rob Ball served about three months as acting superintendent and Joe Williams served 10 months as the interim superintendent. Effective July 1, 2013, Dr. Steven Martinez, previously of Fresno Unified now serves as the district superintendent.
Five of the district's assistant superintendents have become superintendents - Debra LaVoi, Ed.D., became the superintendent at Woodland Joint Unified in July 2009 until her retirement in July 2014, Ramona Bishop, Ed.D.,became the superintendent at Vallejo City Unified in April 2011, Gloria Hernandez-Goff, Ed.D., became the Superintendent of the Ravenswood School District in May 2013, and Rusty Clark became the superintendent of the Pleasant Ridge School District near Grass Valley in June 2013. Dr. Shelly Holt, secondary curriculum director for the district when it first started is now in the Fontana Unified School District in Southern California.
A portion of the City of Sacramento is served by Twin Rivers Schools. North Sacramento and Del Paso Heights are served by Grant Union High School and Trustees Rebecca Sandoval, Linda Fowler and Ramona Landeros. Norte Del Rio High School also served this area until its closure in the 1980s.
Three of Sacramento's westside suburbs are served by Twin Rivers Schools:
- Foothill Farms, CA - this area is served by Foothill High School and Trustee Michael Baker and Michelle Rivas
- North Highlands, CA - this area is served by Highlands High School and Trustee Michelle Rivas and Ramona Landeros
- Rio Linda, CA - this area is served by Rio Linda High School and Trustee Bob Bastian
Board of TrusteesEdit
- Michelle Rivas, President of the Board
- Michael Baker, Vice President of the Board
- Basim Elkarra, Clerk of the Board
- Bob Bastian
- Rebecca Sandoval
- Ramona Landeros
- Linda Fowler
There have been several students and staff members of the schools that are within the Twin Rivers USD.
- Darren Oliver - Rio Linda High - Pitcher Anaheim Angels MLB
- Virginia Avila - Grant Union High School Teacher - California Teacher of the Year 2003
- Sean Chambers - Highlands High School Class of 1983, - Alaska Aces (PBA) star player
- Grantland Johnson - Grant Union High School graduate - Former California Secretary of Health and Human Services
- Scott Galbraith - Highlands High School, Class of 1985 - former professional American football tight end in the NFL for nine seasons - played in Super Bowl XXVIII with the champion Dallas Cowboys (final score Dallas 30, Buffalo 13)
- Dr. William H. Lee - Grant Union High School graduate - Owner/Publisher of The Sacramento Observer
- Rob Vernatchi - Twin Rivers Adult School (formerly Grant Adult Education) NCOA Referee Graduate - NFL Official (Field Judge)
- George Wright - Grant Union High School Graduate - Organist
- Rob Kerth - former Sacramento City councilmember and mayoral candidate
- Lloyd Connelly - Sacramento County Judge, former Assemblymember and Sacramento City Councilmember
- Allen Warren- Sacramento City Councilmember
Alumni who came back to serve on the Board of Trustees
- Alecia Chasten 2008-2012 (Highlands)
- Michelle Rivas 2008-2012, 2014-Present (Foothill)
- Bob Bastian 2008-Present (Grant)
- Rebecca Sandoval 2012–Present (Norte Del Rio)
- Michael Baker 2012–Present (Foothill)
- Sacramento County Final Election Count Archived 2009-06-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Historic school merger approved[permanent dead link], Sacramento Bee, November 7, 2007
- New school district now has a name: Twin Rivers[permanent dead link], Sacramento Bee, January 10, 2008
- New school district seeks public's ideas[permanent dead link], Sacramento Bee, February 22, 2008
- Twin Rivers Interim Website
- Minutes of the Regular Meeting of December 4, 2007 Archived July 1, 2015, at the Wayback Machine, Twin Rivers Unified School District Board of Trustees
- Thomas, Mary Lou (November 20, 2002). "Eastin Announces Five California Teachers of the Year 2003". California Department of Education News Release. Archived from the original on 2007-07-02. Retrieved 2007-07-19.
- Davis, Regina (March 2004). "Where Are They Now?". Grant Today. Retrieved 2007-07-19.[permanent dead link]
- "Call for Unity". Sacramento News & Review. November 11, 2003. Retrieved 2007-07-19.
- "Football `Hero' Returns Home: Dallas Cowboys Star Scott Galbraith". Sacramento Observer. February 9, 1994. Archived from the original on July 11, 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "Dr. William H. Lee Biography". The Sacramento Observer. June 14, 2005. Retrieved 2007-07-19.
- "Rob Vernatchi - NFL". Football Officials Camp, LLC. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-06-25.
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/11/07/twin-rivers-trustee-taking-leave-while-facing-accusations-of-illegal-loans-falsifying-paternity-test/ http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/06/28/grand-jury-report-blasts-twin-rivers-unified-school-district-administrators/ http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/06/04/twin-rivers-looking-to-advertise-at-school-sites/ http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/11/12/twin-rivers-unified-school-cafeteria-was-shut-down-after-failed-health-inspection/