Trulia is a home and neighborhood site for buyers and renters to find homes and neighborhoods across the United States through recommendations, local insights, and map overlays that offer details on commute, reported crime, schools, and nearby businesses.
|Headquarters||San Francisco, CA, USA|
|Area served||United States of America|
|Founder(s)||Pete Flint, Sami Inkinen|
|Launched||September 23, 2005|
Trulia's founders Pete Flint and Sami Inkinen met at Stanford Graduate School of Business. In 2004, while looking for off-campus housing amidst studying for his MBA, Flint was surprised to discover that the local real estate information available online was often insufficient, out of date or both. Flint and Inkinen took this opportunity to simplify the process of finding a new home through technology. Flint was the CEO and Chairman from inception to acquisition. Trulia was incorporated on the 1st of June 2005.
In September 2005, Trulia launched its beta product, originally only serving properties in California. Soon after, with growing demand from listing agents wanting to give their listings more visibility nationwide, Trulia rolled out across the United States less than a year later.
In July 2012, Trulia filed for an initial public offering and stated they would trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "TRLA."  In August 2012, Trulia revealed they would plan to raise up to $75 million in the IPO. The IPO was priced at $17 per share, and began trading on September 20, 2012 at an opening price of $22.10.
In May 2013, Trulia announced plans to acquire Kirkland, WA-based Market Leader Inc. for $355 million, expanding its offerings for real estate agents. The acquisition officially closed on August 20, 2013.
Trulia offers a variety of real estate and neighborhood products and services for consumers and realtors.
In August 2018, Trulia launched Trulia Neighborhoods to enable home buyers, sellers, and renters to find information about a particular neighborhood. The feature provides original photography, drone footage, reviews from local residents, and facts about each area.
What Locals SayEdit
In March 2018, Trulia launched What Locals Say, which allows home buyers, sellers, and renters to find information on what local residents think about a neighborhood through polls and reviews.
Local Legal ProtectionsEdit
In February 2018, Trulia launched a service called Local Legal Protections. It provides information on local nondiscrimination laws for housing, employment, and public accommodations alongside property listings based on data collected by research nonprofit Movement Advancement Project.
Trulia provides price trend information by using listing and public data which shows how the price of a home has changed over a period of time as well as comparing that house price with other homes in the same ZIP code, city, county, or state.
Information on local schools and amenities is provided for each property listed on Trulia. The school map includes GreatSchools data, such as each school's name, grades taught, and the GreatSchools score. School and district boundaries are provided by Maponics. The amenities map is powered by Yelp data.
Interactive Commuter and Transit maps show the driving or commute times from any given point in the United States. Using data from OpenStreetMaps and GTFS feeds, a visual representation of commute times is projected onto a geographical map. This provides the ability to see at a glance how far one can travel from any given property in a given amount of time.
- "Trulia Unveils New Mission To Help Buyers And Renters Discover Homes And Neighborhoods They'll Love". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-09-10.
- Merced, Michael De La. "Zillow to Buy Trulia for $3.5 Billion in All-Stock Deal". The New York Times.
- "TRULIA - Trademark Details". Justia Trademarks.
- Carey, Pete (12 October 2012). "Mercury News interview: Trulia CEO Peter Flint". Mercury News. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Meet the Boss: Sami Inkinen, COO, Trulia". SFGate. 2010-08-29. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Marshall, Matt. "A new housing site. Oh, and Dogster may be profitable!". Silicon Beat. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission. August 17, 2012. "Form S-1 Registration Statement" https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1349454/000119312512359749/d352334ds1.htm
- Wauters, Robin. August 17, 2012. "Online real estate firm Trulia files S-1, plans to raise $75 million in IPO." https://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/08/17/online-real-estate-firm-trulia-files-s-1-plans-raise-75-million-ipo/
- Tsukayama, Hayley. September 20, 2012. "Trulia IPO pops on debut, keeps climbing." https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/trulia-ipo-pops-on-debut-keeps-climbing/2012/09/20/e2f56d14-032d-11e2-91e7-2962c74e7738_story.html
- Levy, Ari. "Trulia to Acquire Market Leader for $355 Million". Bloomberg.
- "Zillow to Buy Trulia for $3.5 Billion in All-Stock Deal". The New York Times. 28 July 2014.
- Cook, John. "Zillow closes $2.5 billion acquisition of Trulia, plans to cut 350 staffers". GeekWire.
- King, John (November 14, 2014). "S.F.'s newest office tower shows poise in a time of flash". San Francisco Chronicle.
- "TRULIA NOW OFFERING NEIGHBORHOOD INTEL--FROM NEIGHBORS". Builder Online.
- Mark, Wilson. "Trulia is building the Netflix for neighborhoods". Fast Company.
- Kyle, Wiggers. "Trulia Neighborhoods gives homebuyers a drone's eye view on their new neighborhood". VentureBeat.
- Chang, Lulu. "Trulia's 'What Locals Say' feature gives homebuyers neighborhood insights". Digital Trends.
- "Trulia now surfaces data on LGBT protections as you search for houses". Fast Company.
- Hatmaker, Taylor. "Trulia adds an LGBTQ section with local non-discrimination laws to its home listings". TechCrunch.
- Mary, Umberger (2008-06-20). "Testing some of the top home-search sites". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Liu, Gia. "Get your next home with the best apartment-finder apps". Digital Trends.
- Grabar, Henry. "An Encyclopedia of Neighborhoods". Slate.
- "Trulia, AddressReport spotlighting local amenities with Yelp integration". Inman.
- Hutchings, Emma. "Heat Map Visualizes Your Daily Commute". Mashable. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- Wilson, Mark. "Trulia's New Maps Show Your Commute Time From Your New House". Fast Company. Retrieved 14 November 2012.