Trail of Governors (South Dakota)
The Trail of Governors is series of life-size bronze statues of former governors of South Dakota in Pierre, the state capital. The project's goal is to place statues of every former governor; as of 2019, twenty-two statues have been placed. Sculptors who have created statues for the project include John Lopez, James Van Nuys, James Michael Maher, Lee Leuning and Sherry Treeby.
Statues have been added to the trail each year since 2012:
- 2012: The trail's first statues portrayed Arthur C. Mellette, Harlan J. Bushfield and Walter Dale Miller.
- 2013: Statues were added of Frank Farrar, Harvey Wollman and William J. Janklow.
- 2014: In conjunction with celebrations of the South Dakota's 125th anniversary of statehood, the trail added statues of Robert S. Vessey, Peter Norbeck and George S. Mickelson.
- 2015: New statues were added portraying Charles N. Herreid, George T. Mickelson and Richard F. Kneip.
- 2016: The trail added statues of Warren E. Green, Nils Boe and M. Michael Rounds.
- 2017: Four statues were added to the trail, portraying Tom Berry, Leslie Jensen, Sigurd Anderson and Joe Foss.
- 2018: Statues of William H. McMaster, Merrell Q. Sharpe and Ralph Herseth were added to the trail.
- 2019: The most recent statues to join the trail are Samuel H. Elrod, Archie M. Gubbrud and Dennis Daugaard.
Following the 2019 unveiling, six former governors remain to be added to the trail: Charles H. Sheldon, Andrew E. Lee, Coe I. Crawford, Frank M. Byrne, Carl Gunderson and William J. Bulow. A statue of Governor Kristi Noem, the state's current governor, will be added once she leaves office.