Touchstone Energy Cooperatives (Touchstone) is a cooperative federation composed of more than 750 local, consumer-owned utility cooperatives in 46 of the 50 United States. Touchstone Energy co-ops serve more than 30 million members.
Touchstone Energy was founded in 1998. Most of its members are also members of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association. The federation includes both generation and transmission cooperatives and distribution cooperatives. More than 88% of Touchstone Energy's local electric co-ops generate at least a portion of their electricity from renewable resources.
Support of Utility CooperativesEdit
Touchstone provides support to its members in various ways. Among other things, support has included training in strategy development and execution best practices. Several Touchstone members have subsequently been recognized by the Palladium Balanced Scorecard Hall of Fame for Executing Strategy™ for their success in developing winning strategies and executing on them; these members include Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corp, Powder River Energy Corporation, Ozarks Electric Cooperative, and Roanoke Electric Cooperative.
Touchstone Energy's North Carolina cooperatives established the Bright Ideas grant program in 1993. The program provides educational grants of up to $3000 for teachers in North Carolina who fund classroom-based projects out of their own pockets.
In July 2010 an agreement was reached between the EPA and Hoosier Energy to reduce emissions that are regulated under the Clean Air Act. The agreement covers a civil penalty and a commitment to upgrade the air pollution controls at two power plants in Indiana, Merom Generating Station, and Frank E. Ratts Generating Station.
- Touchstone Energy: About Us Archived 2010-08-19 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- "Palladium - Awards Program". www.thepalladiumgroup.com. Retrieved 2018-02-17.
- NC's Touchstone Energy Cooperatives award $540k in Bright Ideas Grant monies. Carolina Newswire. November 10, 2005.
- Hoosier Energy Agreement Marks 20th Settlement Under EPA’s Power Plant Enforcement Initiative EPA July 23, 2010.
- "07/23/2010: Hoosier Energy Agreement Marks 20th Settlement Under EPA's Power Plant Enforcement Initiative". webcache.googleusercontent.com.