In 1985, Randel (credited as Anthony Randel) produced the New World Pictures rework of the Japanese The Return of Godzilla into the English film Godzilla 1985. Randel's breakthrough into directing came when Randel, who had supervised the production of Clive Barker's Hellraiser, was hired by New World's President of Production, Steve White, to direct the sequel Hellbound: Hellraiser II. it received mixed reviews, but was a financial success. Randel also directed the live-action film adaptation of the manga Fist of the North Star. The film premiered on HBO and was released to video. He also directed one of Fangoria's low-budget films, Children of the Night (1991), which one critic described as obviously low budget, but with striking scenes.
- "Director conjures up his Hades // `Hellraiser II' takes tortured vision of afterlife to frightening extreme". Retrieved September 8, 2009.
- Thomas, Kevin (14 September 1992). "Hellraiser III: Stylish, Grisly". Retrieved 8 September 2009.
- "Director conjures up his Hades // `Hellraiser II' takes tortured vision of afterlife to frightening extreme".
- "Fist of the North Star Review". Entertainment Weekly. 6 December 1996.
- "Children of the Night Review".
- "K6BBC". QRZ.com. Retrieved September 24, 2009.