Dr. Anthony Grant Barrand (born April 3, 1945 in England) is an academic and musician residing in Brattleboro, Vermont. He is a Professor Emeritus of Anthropology, College of Arts and Sciences, Boston University, where his courses included "Stalking the Wild Mind: The Psychology and Folklore of Extra-Sensory Perception and Psychic Phenomena", "English Ritual Dance and Drama", and "Folk Songs as Social History".
|Birth name||Anthony Grant Barrand|
|Genres||Traditional folk music|
|Labels||Golden Hind Music|
|Associated acts||Roberts and Barrand|
Nowell Sing We Clear
He is best known for his musical collaborations with John Roberts. As Roberts and Barrand, they perform a cappella and accompanied performances of traditional English folk music. They also perform and record fare such as sea shanties of the North Atlantic, and an album of traditional drinking songs. The duo is also half of the related act Nowell Sing We Clear—which in addition to a number of albums—performs an annual yuletide concert series.
Born in England, Barrand moved to the United States after completing a Bachelor of Arts at The University of Keele. He earned his Ph.D. from Cornell University, where he also formed his ongoing music partnership with John Roberts.
Barrand is also an expert morris and clog dancer, having taught across the United States, and written several books on the subject. He has edited the journal Country Dance and Song and founded the Marlboro Morris Ale, an annual national gathering of Morris dancers in Vermont.
Barrand's collection of film and video of morris, sword, and clog dancing was deposited in 2003, by invitation, to the American Folklife Center, as the Anthony Grant Barrand Collection of Morris, Sword, and Clog Dancing at the Library of Congress (catalog number AFC2003/5). As of 2005 the collection had been digitized and is available online at Boston University.
- Northern Harmony (1990) Front Hall Records. Voorheesville, New York.
- with Keith Murphy
- Roberts and Barrand recordings
- Spencer the Rover is Alive and Well… (SwallowTail Records 1971, re-released Golden Hind Music 2001)
- Across the Western Ocean (SwallowTail Records 1973, re-released Golden Hind Music 2000)
- An Evening at the English Music Hall (Front Hall Records, 1974)
- Mellow with Ale from the Horn (Front Hall Records, 1975, re-released Golden Hind Music 2008)
- Dark Ships in the Forest (Folk-Legacy Records) (1977, re-released Golden Hind Music 1997) (with Fred Breunig and Steve Woodruff)
- Live at Holsteins! (Front Hall Records, 1983, expanded re-release Golden Hind Music 2000)
- A Present from the Gentlemen (1992)
- Naulakha Redux: Songs of Rudyard Kipling (with Fred Breunig and Andy Davis) (Golden Hind Music, 1997)
- Heartoutbursts: English Folksongs Collected by Percy Grainger (Golden Hind Music, 1998)
- Twiddlum Twaddlum (Golden Hind Music, 2003)
- Nowell Sing We Clear recordings
- Roberts, Barrand, Breunig, Woodruff:
- Nowell Sing We Clear (Front Hall Records, 1977)
- To Welcome in the Spring (Front Hall Records, 1980, re-released Golden Hind Music 2008)
- The Second Nowell (Front Hall Records, 1981)
- Nowell Sing We Clear, Vol. 3 (Front Hall Records, 1985)
- The Best of Nowell Sing We Clear 1975–1986 (Front Hall Records, 1989, re-released Golden Hind Music 2007)
- Roberts, Barrand, Breunig, Davis:
- Nowell Sing We Four (Front Hall Records, 1988, re-released Golden Hind Music 2002)
- Hail Smiling Morn! (1995)
- Just Say Nowell (2000)
- Nowell Nowell Nowell! (2008)
- Roberts, Barrand, Breunig, Woodruff:
- Northern Harmony: Plain Tunes, Fuging Tunes, and Anthems from the New England Singing School Traditions (fourth edition, 1998, editor, with Larry Gordon) Northern Harmony Publishing Co. ISBN 0-9627554-6-X
- Second edition, 1990, with Larry Gordon and Carole Moody
- First edition, 1980, with Carole Moody
- English Clog Dance Steps: Hornpipe, waltz, and reel (Revised edition, 1983) School for Traditional Dance and Song Press. Boston, Mass.
- Roy Dommett's Morris Notes (1986, editor) Country Dance and Song Society of America. Northampton, Mass.
- Volume 1: Cotswold or Wychwood Morris
- Volume 2: North-West Morris
- Volume 3: Garland Dances
- Volume 4: Sword Dances
- Volume 5: Other Morris
- Morris Dance in America: Proceedings of the 1991 Conference (1991, editor, with Jocelyn Reynolds)
- Six Fools and a Dancer: The Timeless Way of the Morris (1991) ISBN 0-9627554-1-9
- Longsword Dances from Traditional and Manuscript Sources: As Collated and Notated by Ivor Allsop (1996, editor) Northern Harmony Publishing Co.
- Morris, Sword, and Clog Dancing: English and American Performances, 1976 – present (film and video archive, 2003)
- Latona, Angela Marie (2007-04-25). "Immobilizing disease doesn't hinder BU professor". The Daily Free Press: The Independent Student Newspaper at Boston University. Retrieved 2007-12-08.