Tomas Staffan Riad (born 15 November 1959 in Uppsala) is a Swedish linguist, specialised in Swedish phonology and prosody. He received his Ph.D. from Stockholm University in 1992 and is professor at the Department of Scandinavian languages there. Riad is also a violinist, trained at the Royal College of Music in London and has worked as a full-time musician. He was elected a member of the Swedish Academy on 29 September 2011 (taking his seat on 20 December).
- Squibs, remarks and replies (1988); co-authors: Elly van Gelderen &, Arild Hestvik
- Reflexivity and predication (1988)
- Structures in Germanic Prosody. A diachronic study with special reference to the Nordic languages (1992)
- Birgitta Trotzig - Svenska Akademien Inträdestal (2011)
- The Phonology of Swedish (2014)
- Tones and Tunes: Typological Studies in Word and Sentence Prosody (2007)
- Tones and Tunes: Experimental Studies in Word and Sentence Prosody (2007)
- Typological Studies in Word and Sentence Prosody (2007)
- Studier i svensk språkhistoria. 12, Variation och förändring (2014)
- Dissertation, full text available: Structures in Germanic Prosody. A diachronic study with special reference to the Nordic languages[permanent dead link], Stockholm University, 1992.
- Sandstedt; the exact date of the election is clear from Englund's blog