Shroder is the author of The Most Famous Writer Who Ever Lived: A True Story of My Family (2016) an investigation into the life of his grandfather, Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist MacKinlay Kantor; Acid Test: LSD, Ecstasy and the Power to Heal (2014) about the resurgence of research into the medical use of psychedelic drugs, ghost writer of the New York Times bestseller  The Operator: Firing the Shots That Killed Bin Laden and My Years as a Seal Team Warrior by Robert O'Neill, co-author with John Konrad of Fire on the Horizon: the Untold Story of the Gulf Oil Disaster (2011), and sole author of Old Souls: Scientific Evidence From Children Who Remember Previous Lives (1999), based on the work of Canadian psychologist Ian Stevenson.
As editor of The Washington Post Magazine, he oversaw staff writer Gene Weingarten's two Pulitzer Prize-winning feature stories, "Fiddler in the Subway" (2008) and "Fatal Distraction" (2010). As an independent editor he has edited such New York Times bestsellers as Overwhelmed: Work, Love and Play When No One has the Time by Brigid Schulte and Top Secret America by Dana Priest and William Arkin. Shroder also edited and serves as advisor to the play The Manic Monologues.
Shroder's The Hunt for Bin Laden (2011) based on 15 years working for the Washington Post, became the #1-selling Kindle single on Amazon.com. Shroder is also known for co-creating the Tropic Hunt, a mass-participation puzzle attended by thousands each year, which has become the Herald Hunt in Miami and the Post Hunt in Washington.
- Book review: ‘Acid Test,’ on psychedelic drug therapy for PTSD, by Tom Shroder. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- "Hardcover Nonfiction Books - Best Sellers - The New York Times". Retrieved January 20, 2019 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Tom Shroder: Author and Editor". Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- "Tom Shroder". Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- Karla Kane (24 April 2019). "'The Manic Monologues' puts a spotlight on mental illness"". Palo Alto Weekly. Retrieved 19 June 2020.
- "Fusion Adds Tom Shroder and Lynn Medford". Retrieved 2016-11-07.