Tom McCartney (born 6 September 1985) is a rugby union player from New Zealand. He primarily plays as a hooker, though he has also played as prop. McCartney currently plays for Irish provincial team Connacht in the Pro14. McCartney's nickname, 'Freak,' comes from his strength in the gym.
|Birth name||Thomas McCartney|
|Date of birth||6 September 1985|
|Place of birth||Auckland, New Zealand|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||113 kg (249 lb)|
|Rugby union career|
McCartney started his professional rugby career in 2007, starting an NPC game for North Harbour against Thames Valley, while on loan. Weeks later, McCartney made his debut for Auckland. McCartney made a total of 94 appearances for Auckland between 2007 and 2014, scoring five tries. In his final season, McCartney was the province's most capped player and captained the side.
In 2008 McCartney was given a place in the Blues squad, making his debut from the bench in a match against the Chiefs. In April 2009, McCartney made his first start for the team, this coming against the Queensland Reds. McCartney made 64 appearances for the Blues and scored two tries, before leaving for Ireland in 2014.
In 2014, McCartney signed a three-year deal with Irish provincial side Connacht. He joined the side for the 2014–15 season, but did not link up with the squad until after Auckland had finished in the 2014 ITM Cup. Auckland were knocked out in the semi-finals of the competition on 18 October, and McCartney made his debut for Connacht on 21 November, coming on as a replacement against Zebre in the 2014–15 Pro12. McCartney made a further 14 appearances in the league all of them coming as starts. He made his European debut on 6 December 2014 against Bayonne in the 2014–15 Challenge Cup, and made three more appearances in the competition, all of them starts. McCartney also started in Connacht's final game of the season, a play-off with Gloucester for entry to the 2015–16 Champions Cup, which Connacht lost after extra time.
- "ITM Cup Players: Tom McCartney". Auckland Rugby. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015. Retrieved 2 November 2015.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- "Freak's Blues era is over". Times Live. 3 November 2014. Archived from the original on 21 January 2015. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Connacht's Kiwi hooker cannot wait for a crack at famed Red Army". Irish Independent. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
McCartney arrived in the Sportsground off the back of an ITM Cup campaign with Auckland where he captained his native province.
- "McCartney elevated to Blues' starting 15". 3 News. 23 April 2009. Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- "Tom McCartney signs with Irish side Connacht". The Blues Media Unit (Press release). 17 April 2014. Archived from the original on 17 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Connacht romp to bonus-point win over sorry Zebre". Pro12. 21 November 2014. Archived from the original on 26 September 2015. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Connacht Squad Index: Tom McCartney". Pro12.
- "Player Archive: Tom McCartney". European Professional Club Rugby.