Tom Lynch (Australian footballer, born 1990)
Thomas Lynch (born 15 September 1990) is a professional Australian rules football player who plays for the Adelaide Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was recruited by St Kilda from Sandringham Dragons Under 18 TAC Cup team with pick 13 in the 2008 National Draft. Lynch was then traded to Adelaide following the 2011 season.
Lynch in June 2019
|Full name||Thomas Telford Lynch|
|Nickname(s)||Tig, The Chief|
|Date of birth||15 September 1990|
Sandringham Dragons (TAC Cup)
|Draft||No. 13, 2008 national draft|
Round 18, 2010, St Kilda|
vs. Essendon, at Etihad Stadium
|Height||191 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||87 kg (192 lb)|
|2009–2011||St Kilda||6 (4)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of R23,2019.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
St Kilda (2009–2011)Edit
St Kilda's first pick in the 2008 draft, Lynch did not play senior football in 2009. He made his AFL debut in round 18 of the 2010 season against Essendon. He had five disposals and was dropped for the following week's match.
Lynch played five games in 2011 and kicked four goals, including two in a game against North Melbourne. At the end of the season, Lynch was traded from St Kilda to Adelaide as part of a three-way deal with Richmond, who received ruckman Ivan Maric from Adelaide whilst trading pick 37 to St Kilda.
Lynch played his first game for the Crows in the first round of the 2012 season. He went on to play six games in his first season at the Crows, but became a regular member of the team the next year, playing 17 matches and leading Adelaide's goalkicking with 33 goals. This included a 10-goal game against Greater Western Sydney, making Lynch only the third player to score ten or more goals in a game for Adelaide. In 2014, however, Lynch suffered a wretched run of injuries, including a dislocated shoulder in a pre-season trial game, a broken jaw in a collision with Melbourne's Jack Viney in round 7, and, after a late-season return, a season-ending fractured neck in a collision against the Brisbane Lions in round 20. In total, he played eight games, and only one where he was available and uninjured for the whole game: a 25-disposal, two-goal effort against the Western Bulldogs in round 6.
Lynch established himself in Adelaide's forward line in 2015, playing all 23 games, kicking 32 goals and having 30 goal assists, the most for the season by any player. Late in the season he signed a new three-year contract with the Crows.
In Round 7 of 2017, he was tackled to the ground heavily by North Melbourne player Jarrad Waite in the second quarter, getting concussed and not being able to return to the ground for the rest of the match. Later in the season Lynch was hospitalized with viral meningitis, but he bounced back from it in Round 17 against Melbourne, managing 27 possessions, 11 marks and three goals for the match.
- Statistics are correct to end of season, 2017
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- "AFL National Draft held at the end of Season 2008". FootyWire.com.
- "Trade week updates – day five". Herald Sun. 14 October 2011.
- Blake, Martin (30 September 2009). "St Kilda looks to grow from within". The Age.
- Williams, Rebecca (30 July 2010). "Jimmy Bartel out as Cats spring surprises". Herald Sun.
- "Collingwood and Geelong strengthen teams ahead of clash". foxsports.com.au. Fox Sports. 5 August 2010. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "Tom Lynch – AFC.com.au". AFC.com.au. Adelaide Football Club.
- Rucci, Michelangelo (30 March 2012). "Adelaide Crows AFL trading pays off with Tom Lynch". The Advertiser.
- "Dismal crowd sees Crows humiliate GWS Giants by 135 points". The Australian. 12 May 2013.
- Capel, Andrew (7 March 2014). "Crows forward Tom Lynch injures shoulder against GWS in trial match and could miss first half of season". The Advertiser.
- Thring, Harry (3 May 2014). "Broken jaw set to sideline Crow Tom Lynch for six weeks". AFL.com.au. Australian Football League. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- "Adelaide Crows' Tom Lynch has neck fracture, expected to make full recovery". ABC.net.au. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 15 August 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- Walsh, Scott (1 September 2015). "Tom Lynch signs three-year contract extension with Adelaide Crows". The Advertiser.
- Drummond, Andrew (6 May 2017). "Match report: Rampaging Roos thump League leaders". AFL.com.au. Australian Football League. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- McGowan, Marc (16 July 2017). "Crows ready for test against Cats, says Pyke". AFL.com.au. Australian Football League. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- "RSPCA: Adopt a Greyhound". RSPCA.com.au. RSPCA. 24 May 2017. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- "AFL Tables – Tom Lynch statistics". AFL Tables.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tom Lynch (Australian footballer, born 1990).|