Todd A. Levett (born April 19, 1983 in Cleveland, Ohio) was an American homeland security and foreign affairs advisor, public servant, and strategist based in Washington, DC. He died of brain cancer on October 30, 2014.
|Todd A. Levett|
|Occupation||Public Servant, Homeland Security and Foreign Affairs Advisor, Policy Strategist|
Todd Levett served as a senior advisor at the U.S. State Department, working to reduce the impact of international crime on the United States and her citizens. Before joining the Department in 2010, Todd Levett served as a Senior Advisor to the U.S. House Committee on Homeland Security, led by the Committee Chairman, Representative Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS). The Committee is one of two primary legislative bodies responsible for overseeing the development, management, and activities of the Department of Homeland Security and its resources.
After his appointment to the Committee in October 2005, Levett was tasked with carrying out a number of Congressional oversight responsibilities to review and enhance complex and sensitive national security policies shared by a number of Federal Departments and Agencies and their State counterparts.
He served as a policy advisor to Members of Congress on border security technology programs such as US-VISIT and SBInet, document and human authentication policies, and the biometric technologies that assure them. He was a foremost expert advising Committee Members on the shared responsibilities between the Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security for domestic preparedness, response, and security—a policy space known as Homeland Defense and Defense Support for Civil Authorities. He was recognized by his peers as a thought leader on these issues in the Congress and worked closely with the National Guard Bureau, U.S. Northern Command, and State Guard Units to expand joint training opportunities and ensure a common operating picture with their civilian counterparts. Todd was responsible for initiating Congressional oversight hearings to examine preparedness and resourcing gaps plaguing military first responders and presenting solutions to fill them.
He also managed the Committee's oversight portfolio for continuity of government matters, international security affairs, and the protective operations of the United States Secret Service. Levett previously served as the Committee's Deputy Communications Director responsible for the Chairman's strategic communication and press relations.
Before joining the Committee, Todd worked as a leadership aide to U.S. House Democratic Leader Richard Gephardt (D-MO). He previously wrote for and helped to edit the NEXT feature section of the Cleveland Plain Dealer and earlier still worked to develop media engagement and marketing strategies for musicians at TAL Entertainment  and for Elektra Records.
Todd was appointed to the Advisory Board of the Infragard National Member's Alliance, a public-private partnership between the FBI, Department of Homeland Security, and the private sector for infrastructure protection. He is also a proud member and Security Policy Fellow of the Truman National Security Project and previously served on its Board of Principals.
Levett received his B.A. in Political Science from American University and completed graduate coursework in Homeland Security Leadership from the University of Connecticut. He was also selected to participate in the Fleet Seminar program for national security strategy operated by the U.S. Naval War College. Todd prepped at University School in Hunting Valley, Ohio.
- http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/01/07/names_house_staffer_moves_to_state_s_drugs_and_thugs_bureau Names: House staffer moves to State’s 'drugs and thugs' bureau
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-05. Retrieved 2013-01-29. Jurisdiction and History of the Committee on Homeland Security
- http://www.rollcall.com/issues/51_109/-12889-1.html Thompson Names Homeland Security Staff
- http://democrats.homeland.house.gov/press/index.asp?ID=485&SubSection=0&Issue=0&DocumentType=0&PublishDate=0, http://democrats.homeland.house.gov/press/index.asp?ID=357&SubSection=0&Issue=0&DocumentType=0&PublishDate=0, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-28. Retrieved 2013-01-29.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-12-14. Retrieved 2013-01-29. Congressional Delegation Reviewed International Security Cooperation
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-22. Retrieved 2013-01-29. Congressional Examination of Candidate Protective Operations, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-22. Retrieved 2013-01-29. Congressional Hearing to Examine White House Security Breach
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-22. Retrieved 2013-01-29. Committee Press Release Following the Resignation of DHS Deputy Secretary Michael Jackson
- http://homeland.edgeboss.net/wmedia/homeland/clips/compilation.wvx Video of News Reports of Chairman Thompson's Response to DHS Threat Warnings Based on "Gut" Feelings
- https://books.google.com/books?id=HBQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq#v=onepage&q&f=false Billboard Magazine Executive Turntable: Todd Levett
- Foreign Policy Magazine "Names: House staffer moves to State’s 'drugs and thugs' bureau"
- Congressional Appointments
- Congressional Press Release "Rep. Thompson Announces New Democratic Staff at the Committee on Homeland Security"
- Washington Post "Cabinet and Staff News: Todd Levett joins State Department's drugs and thugs bureau"
- Truman National Security Project Policy Expert - Todd Levett
- Billboard Magazine "Executive Turntable Column"