Sir Timothy Shelley, 2nd Baronet (7 September 1753 – 24 April 1844), was an English politician and lawyer. He was the son of Sir Bysshe Shelley, 1st Baronet, and the father of Romantic poet and dramatist Percy Bysshe Shelley.
|Member of Parliament|
for New Shoreham
|Preceded by||Sir Cecil Bisshopp|
Charles William Wyndham
|Succeeded by||Sir Charles Burrell|
Sir James Lloyd
|Member of Parliament|
Serving with Wilson Gale-Braddyll
|Preceded by||Jeremiah Crutchley|
|Succeeded by||Lord William Gordon|
|Born||7 September 1753|
|Died||24 April 1844(aged 90)|
|Children||7; including Percy|
|Parent(s)||Sir Bysshe Shelley|
Mary Catherine Mitchell
|Alma mater||University College, Oxford|
Early life and education Edit
Timothy Shelley was the son of Sir Bysshe Shelley and his wife Mary Catherine Michell (1734–1760), daughter of the Reverend Theobald Michell and his wife Mary Tredcroft. He studied at University College, Oxford, and was awarded his bachelor's degree in 1778, his master's degree following in 1781. He then studied law at Lincoln's Inn.
Shelley was elected as a member of parliament (MP) for Horsham, Sussex, at the 1790 general election, but an election petition was lodged and the result was overturned on 19 March 1792. He was elected as MP for New Shoreham at the 1802 general election. Shelly was re-elected for Shoreham in 1806, 1807, and 1812, and held the seat until he stood down at the 1818 general election.
He associated with the Duke of Norfolk during his time in the British political sphere.
Personal life Edit
Shelley married Elizabeth Pilfold in October 1791 and they moved to Field Place in Warnham, approximately 40 miles (64 km) outside London. The couple had seven children:
- Percy Bysshe (1792–1822), English Romantic poet
- Elizabeth (1794–1831)
- Hellen (1796–1796)
- Mary (1797–1884)
- Hellen (1799–1885)
- Margaret (1801–1887)
- John (1806–1866)
None of Shelley's daughters married except for Mary, who in 1819 married D. F. Haynes.
|Sir Timothy Shelley, 2nd Baronet of Castle Goring|
- Mr Timothy Shelley (1753–1790)
- Mr Timothy Shelley MP (1790–1815)
- Sir Timothy Shelley (1815–1844)
Shelley inherited the baronetcy in 1815, becoming the 2nd Baronet Shelley, of Castle Goring, Sussex.
- Baptism Record of Katherine Michell. Ancestry.com. England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538–1975 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014. Original data: England, Births and Christenings, 1538–1975. Salt Lake City, Utah: FamilySearch, 2013. Paid subscription site. Retrieved May 2017.
- Foster, Joseph (1888–1892). . Alumni Oxonienses: the Members of the University of Oxford, 1715–1886. Oxford: Parker and Co – via Wikisource.
- A Biographical Sketch by blupete: Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792–1822)
- Stooks Smith, Henry. (1973) [1844–1850]. Craig, F. W. S. (ed.). The Parliaments of England (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. ISBN 0-900178-13-2.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H"
- Stooks Smith, p. 350.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "N" (part 2)
- thePeerage.com – Person Page 3897