Tim Hill (baseball)
Hill with the Kansas City Royals in 2019
|San Diego Padres – No. 25|
|Born: February 10, 1990|
Mission Hills, California
|March 29, 2018, for the Kansas City Royals|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2020 season)
|Earned run average||4.18|
Hill attended Granada Hills Charter High School in Los Angeles, California. Undrafted out of high school, Hill attended Palomar College his freshman year. He then moved on to Bacone College. Hill was drafted by the Kansas City Royals in the 32nd round of the 2014 Major League Baseball draft.
Hill signed, and spent 2014 with both the Idaho Falls Chukars and Lexington Legends, posting a combined 3–1 win–loss record and 1.64 earned run average (ERA) in 22 innings pitched. He missed all of 2015 while undergoing treatment for stage 3 Colon cancer. In 2016, he played for the Wilmington Blue Rocks and Northwest Arkansas Naturals, compiling a combined 2–4 record and 3.43 ERA with 62 strikeouts in 63 total innings pitched between both teams, and in 2017, he once again played for both Wilmington and Northwest Arkansas, going 1–2 with a 4.26 ERA in 40 total games between the two clubs. The Royals added him to their 40-man roster after the 2017 season.
Hill made the 25-man roster for the 2018 Royals, and had his MLB debut on Opening Day, March 29, pitching 1⁄3 of an inning in relief against the Chicago White Sox; he hit the first batter he faced, Leury García. He finished the 2018 season going 1–4 with a 4.53 ERA over 45 2⁄3 innings. Hill produced a 2–0 record with a 3.61 ERA over 39 2⁄3 innings for the Royals in 2019.
Hill's father died of colon cancer in 2006. Hill was diagnosed with colon cancer during spring training of 2015. Half of his colon was removed and he underwent eight months of chemotherapy, before being cleared by his doctor in January of 2016. Hill also suffers from Lynch syndrome.
- "Tim Hill to Royals' 40-man roster". Palomar College. November 22, 2017. Retrieved November 29, 2019.
- Shawn Moran (February 28, 2018). "Former Bacone pitcher looking to submarine way onto KC roster". Muskogee Phoenix. Retrieved November 29, 2019.
- "Tim Hill Keeps Defying The Odds". Baseball America. April 20, 2018. Retrieved November 29, 2019.
- Jeffrey Flanagan (April 20, 2018). "Royals rookie Hill thriving after beating cancer". MLB.com. Retrieved September 16, 2019.
- "Tim Hill Stats, Highlights, Bio". MiLB.com. Retrieved March 23, 2018.
- "Royals add three to 40-man roster". Fox Sports Kansas City. November 20, 2017. Retrieved December 8, 2017.
- Maria Torres (March 29, 2018). "Hours before opener, Royals announce 25-man roster, cut Kyle Zimmer, Wily Peralta". The Kansas City Star. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
- "White Sox vs. Royals - Box Score". ESPN. March 29, 2018. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
- Max Rieper (November 27, 2019). "Yankees reportedly interested in trading for Tim Hill". Royals Review. SB Nation. Retrieved November 29, 2019.
- Nick Kappel (May 4, 2018). "The Resilient Tim Hill". Royal Rundown. MLB.com. Retrieved November 29, 2019.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball pitcher born in the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|