Thongwa Dönden, 6th Karmapa Lama
Up to then the Kagyu lineage had mainly given emphasis on meditation and considered rituals and prayers of lesser importance and therefore it had been neglected. Thongwa Dönden therefore set out to write many prayers and form many rituals. He was also very active with the printing and copying of Buddhist texts and the founding of a Buddhist university. Thongwa strengthened the lineage by having the Shangpa and Shijay lineage join their lineage and making sure that the different teachings were compatible with each other.
- "The Sixth Karmapa, Tongwa Donden". The Treasury of Lives: Biographies of Himalayan Religious Masters. Retrieved 2013-08-11. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Thongwa Dönden - Sixth Karmapa". Drupon Rinpoche. Retrieved 2013-08-11. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Sixth Karmapa Thongwa Donden". Karma Triyana Dharmachakra. Retrieved 2013-08-11. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Thinley, Karma (2008). The History of Sixteen Karmapas of Tibet. USA: Prajna Press. p. 150. ISBN 1-57062-644-8.
- The Sixth Karmapa, The Karmapa, Official Website of the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa
|Reincarnation of the Karmapa||Succeeded by|